Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start?

Hey Everyone,

having a problem with my gs that is rather frustrating due to the lack of frequency.

Bike: 1980 GS550E
    Charging system nice and healthy. Running a honda R/R. Stock Stator. Stock coils.

The past 2 times i have ridden this bike, it has cut out on me. Both after 45+ minutes of riding. It'll suddenly loose all spark to all 4 cylinders. but retain full power to everything. Headlight, starter, gauges etc.

After a few seconds/minutes, i can thumb the starter and she'll fire right back to life. Both times I rode it 30+ minutes home. I can't do diagnosis on her because it's so intermentent.

It's not a fuel issue, it's definently spark related due to how sudden it occurs.

It's not the ignition switch because i still have power to the starter. Kickstarter switch is permently hotwired. The only other 2 things I can think of is kill switch and the ignitor. Kill switch is in good shape. Could this be an ignitor issue?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Fuel tank vent?
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      Fuel tank vent?
      It's good. I run clear fuel lines, and I know that fuel is reaching the carbs.
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
        Kickstarter switch is permently hotwired.
        "Kickstarter switch"?

Please elaborate.

You are right. Based on your description, it might be an ignitor, or at least one of the connections in the ignitor circuit. If it was a fuse, you would not be able to use the electric starter. However, it could be a fuse that has come loose internally, and looks good. Try changing the ignition fuse. If it still happens, check the connectors for the ignitor and the pickup sensors on the end of the crank. If all those are good, it might be the ignitor, but there are also tests you can do to test it, they are outlined in your service manual.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X