Speedometer fix !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer fix !!

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here go's.While riding home on my new ( to me ) GS850 today on the freeway I noticed that the speedometer face was vibrating and the next thing I knew it had come off and spun 90 degrees.The 2 little screws were laying in the bottom.It was still working but the face is just spinning back and forth.When I got home I pulled of the whole speedometer and started to take it apart,but I can not figure out how to get it apart !!.I can get the black housing off and I can take out the 2 screws by where the cable go's in but thats it.Is it possible to take it apart any farther to get to the face??.

Originally posted by Hacked850 View Post
    Is it possible to take it apart any farther to get to the face??.
    Yes. (<-- click link )

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you do a search, you should find on the site where some had taken apart the case. Some use a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the case off. Then they glue it back together. Others use a small screwdriver to carefully pry the metal ring off. Look around, there are posts on it. Once you do get the cover off, use some lock tight on the screws. Welcome to the site too.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM. Reason: added wording

Comment

The other way I was thinking about was to drill 2 small holes over the holes where the screws go and then useing a small screw driver to put the screws back in.Then putting a dab of sillycone over each small hole.If I di it right the 2 small hole will not be in the way to see the odo,trip meter or numbers.Oh ya 1 more question..Is the clear cover glass or plastic ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hacked850 View Post
          The other way I was thinking about was to drill 2 small holes over the holes where the screws go and then useing a small screw driver to put the screws back in.Then putting a dab of sillycone over each small hole.If I di it right the 2 small hole will not be in the way to see the odo,trip meter or numbers.Oh ya 1 more question..Is the clear cover glass or plastic ???
          Glass. And it will crack easily if you're not careful.

Ive done the pry-ing of the bezel (metal ring) and it's easy. Just go slow and small prys at a time. Get too greedy and the face will crack from lateral stress.
          And it may take a couple passes. Which is fine. But the bonus to doing it this way is if for any reason you ever have to get back in it, it's cake. Don't have to re-dremmel what you glued together.

Comment

I'm sure utilizing the "Seach" feature (what's that?) will help yah! Or, you can just click on this link: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage...ide_gauges.htm

Comment

Working...
            X