Turn Signal Question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal Question??

OK, so I'm thinking about purchasing these turn signals:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Four-Bla...ht_1183wt_1398

BUT! they are single filament. Can they be wired to be running lights as well or am I going to have to find dual filament signals?

Thanks

You need to have dual filament sockets. You can't put a dual filament bulb in a single filament socket, it won't work.

Comment

There is also a good chance that those signals won't be "plug and play", either.

Most of those little lights have smaller bulbs that don't pull enough current to tickle the stock flasher. You will have to change your flasher to get these to work.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hmmmmm, I'll keep looking then, Thanks.

Comment

I have those turn signals on my 650, no regrets here.

You will need a new Turn Signal Relay($10 or less)

The guy at the motorcycle shop told me they can be running lights or signal lights.
          (but that's just what he told me....and they're been Wrong before!)
          Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I put a set of those on the back of a 1980 850G. The turn signal controller still functions correctly, and still cancels. Mine are cheap chrome ones and really cheesy. I'llprobably make a stronger bracketand put stockers back on.

As far as I know, Suzukis didn't have running lights until 1981, and then on the front only. I recently replaced the hacked up wiring harness on my 1981 1000G witha solid one off a 1980 850G. I had to make up a jumper for the running lights.

A single filament tuen signal can easily be used for turn signals or running lights, but not so easily for both at the same time.
            Last edited by 850 Combat; 10-23-2011, 11:53 AM.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
              The guy at the motorcycle shop told me they can be running lights or signal lights.
              Yep, I mentioned the probability of changing the flasher.

The reason "they can be running lights or signal lights" is that they use lower-power bulbs. They use marker light bulbs which are not technically bright enough for signal use (only matters if you have inspections in your state), but that is why you need a different flasher. If they used the brighter signal bulbs, you wouldn't want to use them as marker lights.

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
              As far as I know, Suzukis didn't have running lights until 1981, and then on the front only. I recently replaced the hacked up wiring harness on my 1981 1000G witha solid one off a 1980 850G. I had to make up a jumper for the running lights.
              That feature hit different models in different years. I don't know for sure, but it might have started on the 1000s in '80, filtered down to the 850s in '81 and the 750s and 650s in '82.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I know that neither of my 1980 1000G's have running lights, nor do my two 1980 850G's. It certainly wouldn't surprize me if all the 16 valves came with running lights though. It would surprize me if a '79 750E came with running lights.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Yep, I mentioned the probability of changing the flasher.

That feature hit different models in different years. I don't know for sure, but it might have started on the 1000s in '80, filtered down to the 850s in '81 and the 750s and 650s in '82.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post

Its an either/or. Not both on the same circuit.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                    Its an either/or. Not both on the same circuit.
                    Well yeah I already knew that. I wasn't implying they could be used as Both at the same time, I thought maybe he was debating to use them as parking lights Or signals.

Comment

Thanks again guys! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I didn't know that you couldn't just wire the turn signals to do both. I was hoping you could but if not I may still consider these.

I am rewiring the whole bike from scratch and will be essentially building my own wiring harness and diagram. That being said, if I buy dual filament signals is it possible to wire them to be running lights as well as signals?

I'm trying to find that delicate balance between style and safety.

Comment

That is pretty easy. Any orange wire (with your stock harness) is switched off the ignition. I used one of those when I installed a 1980 harness on a 1981. Tail light wire as I recall.

Its best to get one after the fuse box than before it...

Comment

Working...
                        X