Dyna S 3-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S 3-2

Has anyone installed this on a 1980 GS? I have a 1980 GS 550 L. I am curious as to the difficulty of install and if it worth the add. I found all sorts of Dyna threads but mine is more of a specific application and advice.

If you are decent with wiring/electronics and know how to set the timing correctly, not that hard.
    It is more reliable than the stock setup, less components, it allows you to adjust timing, if you add a set of green coils you will get better idling and starting, smoother power.

Comment

forgive my ignorance, green coils?

Comment

Originally posted by JStones View Post
        forgive my ignorance, green coils?
        Green coils are the high output 3 ohm Dynatek coils that you would need to run with stock or dyna S ignition.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Same boat, but with a '79 750

I have also checked the various threads pertaining to the installation of the Dyna-S ignition, and still I'm confused. On BassCliff's website I found Stig Poulson's pdf for installing the Dyna-S onto a GS550, which may be of interest to the original poster if they haven't found it already. I know I have the Nippon-Denso plate/condensors, so that question is answered. He says you can use the stock coils, and leaves it at that. Does one need to invest in the green coils? Also, does one need to do the relay mod that I've seen several references to? I got a bit confused in Stig's pdf when he talked about splicing into the connector with the orange wire to one of the coils, then just seems to plug thing in, without splicing. Can't I just hookup the Dyna-S using the exact same connections that the OEM base-plate used, essentially routing the wires exactly as the ones I'd be pulling? Could anyone offer some clarification, and whether a person needs the green coils, and what the disadvantage would be of using the stock coils? On the Z1 order page you referenced, the description recommends removing the ballast resistor from the system . Does this only pertain to the Kawasakis mentioned in the description, or to the gs's as well? What modifications would have to be done if using the green coils, or can a guy just swap the coils and the ignition with no splicing/modding? Finally, which coil wires should one use: suppressed or not? The various threads are actually all over the place, it seems, when I've sought clarification on these questions. Could some folks weigh in on what they did when installing their electric ignition, and which procedure works best? Thanks to all the gs folks who might assist in advance (pun kinda intended...)

Comment

The Dyna S will work just fine with the stock coils. The Dyna Green coils probably provide a bit of extra voltage, plus easily replaceable spark plug wires. Is that worth $150 or whatever it costs? If your coils are working just fine I'd say no.

Frequently there are poor electrical connections due to corrosion over time, and the voltage reaching the coils is significantly lower than that of the battery. When that happens, the coil relay mod can help you get full voltage back to the coils. It is not necessary to perform the coil relay mod if you're getting <1V drop from battery to the coils. It is not necessary for Dyna S installation. The coil relay mod can be done independently or in conjunction with the Dyna S installation.

For the OP, if your factory electronic ignition is working OK there's going to be little advantage to going Dyna S. On pre-1980 bikes using points it eliminates that maintenance. For the mechanical advanced EI bikes, it is a reliable and economical alternative to a new igniter if your stock unit goes bad (new igniter ~$400 if obtainable, dicey reliability on used market, Dyna S ~$120).

Comment

Let us start from scratch.
              First, the 550 is a peculiar beast. Not quite the same on the signal generator end, so to speak. A mod has been done and documented, you need to search.
              The 1979 was a points machine, you would be moving into the electronic world.
              The green coils will offer a higher voltage multiplication factor over the stock coils due to the higher number of windings. Period.
              The Dyna S ignition offers adjustable timing, which the factory ignition lacks. A HUGE boon if you live in the octane-starved ethanol-enriched USA areas like I do.
              Points systems use a different impedance coil. So using the 3 Ohm Green Dyna coils may not output the same voltage (keep in mind a coil is only a voltage multiplier) but it will work.

Comment

I know I am re stating somewhat,...

Green coils give you a fatter spark. This is a good thing because it means a more consistent and more complete burn of the fuel/air in the combustion chamber. Not only giving you more power, but smoother power all around. (Better fuel economy too!)

Coil relay mod bypasses the 30+ year old crusty hardened high impedance wire that currently powers your coils. This too will give you fatter spark, and all the good stuff that entails. (This mod can be done for about 10.00, so why not. ..)

Dyna S may be of less benefit with a bike that is not running points, but if yours is a points driven system, Dyna is the way to go. Ensuring consistent no fiddle performance, and again, a better spark.

Since spark is one third of go, Its worth upgrading.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2011, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Mike. That was the kind of easy, all-answering answer I just love! Hope fully original poster is just as lucky.

Comment

And thanks KoolAid and Keman: Those are the kind of answers that make me scratch my head just a bit and think maybe I need to spend $150 on coils after all....the bike I got almost looks like it was stored in a heated garage for 30 years cuz its a beautiful stock find, runs awesome and strong with 16k, and has been a breeze to tinker with, because of gsresources; I'm actually switching to EI for the ease and consistency of it, and if my stock coils work I'll stick with those. But now I know the benefits of both green coils and relay mod. Anyone with a quick quip on when to use suppressed or unsuppressed wires?

Comment

Certainly. If you use suppression wires (normally automotive type) then use a non-suppression spark plug cap. If you use non-suppression wires (usually copper, motorcycle type) then use the suppression caps (usually NGKs).
                      When one of my coils failed last year I put a Kawasaki coil on with automotive suppression wires. So I had one pair of each, and it ran fine. One thing to note: automotive wires expect you to have the screw-on cap on the plugs, motorcycle wires expect you to remove it.

Comment

$147.00 will get you Dyna greens and a set of 8mm Suppression wire at Z1. There is also shipping. My bike has been very happy with them. It was one of the best upgrades I did.
                        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                        X