Bar heaters- home made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar heaters- home made

Thought you might be interested in a set of grip heaters Brad & I made for the GS850G. In keeping with the collector status, the bike needs to be kept to look stock and "period correct". In addition, the plan is to keep expenses down to a bare minimum which is one advantage of the collector license and insurance as it is difficult to justify another bike unless having it can actually save money.

When I made my heated jacket, the element was 25 feet of 30 AWG Belden Teflon coated hook-up wire. Since the rolls are 30 metres, most of the roll has been sitting on the shelf. It is difficult to determine the actual wire length required for a specific heating task because the wire changes in resistance value significantly when it is hot so guess-timate is required.

We guessed at 32 feet of wire (16 feet per side) to give about 25 - 30 Watts of heat per side which is what the Hein Gerlich grips on the ST have. Those grips will literally burn one's hands on high position so meet the criteria of having reserve capacity. Additional estimation issue is that one cannot always predict the charging system set point voltage because this can depend on load and temperature. The ST runs in the 14-14.4 volt range when ambient conditions are cool but can drop into the mid-13's volts when conditions are hot. Since one needs less grip heat when temperatures are 85 - 90 F, this works out well. (VBG)

We used the technique which worked well on dual sports which was to wrap the left bar end with hockey tape in order to insulate that bar end heater so as to even the heat output from side to side. Putting the heater onto the steel bar (aluminum is worse) will result in a toasty right hand and freezing cold left. This is the reason that many people have had better success with one-piece heated grips rather than a grip heater element under a regular grip. Since Suzie has new grips and I can make heaters, paying big $ for Hein Gerlichs seems unwarranted.

In order to terminate the wires with both ends to the inner end and avoid crossing the heating wires (concerned about concentrating heat and damaging insulation) we looped the wire in 1/2 and started two ends together at the inner end of the grip where the wire was secured by a wrap of plastic electrical tape. The wire "pair" was wrapped into a spaced spiral to the end of the grip where the end was secured by another wrap of plastic tape. Note* I have found that tight plastic tape anchors the ends without insulating as would hockey tape.

Note photo shows wire before wrapping by plastic tape in the outer end. The termination loop can be seen under my thumb.

Next, the wire was covered by a tightly pulled spiral wrap of single layer plastic electrical tape which started at the outer end. This wrap is necessary to prevent the wire from being displaced during installation of the rubber grip. The two termination wires can be seen at the other end, near the switch pod.

Here I made an error as the termination wires should have been made an additional 8" longer for the throttle side grip as it was necessary to splice on some additional lead wire. More on that later.

The throttle side requires some additional attention, depending on the design of the throttle sleeve because most throttle sleeves have some radial ridges in order to reduce the tendency of the grip to slip/turn on the plastic throttle sleeve. In the case of the GS the ridges simply required care in wrapping but some I have done required that the ridges be slotted by a triangular file.

One also needs be cautious in wrapping the throttle tube because stretching of the plastic tape because, over time, the constriction can crush the plastic sleeve. A warning is in order!

We connected each heater in turn to a 12 volt battery and monitored voltage and current.

Soapy water and the grips went back so the next problem was to connect wiring. The problem with connecting small hook-up wire to harness wire is avoiding flexing or tension which will break the wires !@#$%^!!!!

I have had success by wrapping the harness wires partially around the end of the grip and attaching by a wrap tie which we did on the left side. Brad had a much better idea for the throttle side. He suggested using a length of 1/8" nylon tubing to provide a semi-flexible conduit which conveys the 32 AWG wires but is practical to anchor to the inner end of the throttle tube. The two (should have been made longer originally as noted) wires were passed through the nylon tubing and anchored at either end by heat shrink. The wires were laid to overlap in the gap when the grip was rolled back a small amount and secured by another narrow wrap-tie. The nylon tube angles forward over the brake lever and evens out flex beautifully.

The heaters are connected through a SPST toggle switch for temporary testing. Power comes from the headlight fuse in the fuse box in order to have switched power for testing. I wanted to avoid installing a dedicated relay and wiring until it is confirmed. The headlight circuit is a useful supply in this case because the HID headlight conversion is supplied by its own fuse.

Here is a shot of the throttle side with lead nylon conduit:
    can't get the image to load so will attach to next post.

When heated the grips draw 3.2 amps @ 13.7 volts = 44 Watts or 22 per side.

I'll report on how they work out later on. I suspect that they will need some means of reducing output but will decide on whether to construct & hide a pulse width modulator or simply use a series resistor with DPDT switch.

Norm

The throttle side image which I couldn't add to the previous post:

Note the text was a general message posted to several areas so tried to make it generic. In the completed install, the conduit for the throttle side runs in an arc directly forward and over the brake lever so that it makes only a gentle change in radius when the throttle is moved from idle to WOT.

HIH

Norm
    Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

These grip heaters have been working very well so decided to add a variable controller. In keeping with the low budget theme for the GS850, did some digging in the parts boxes and found an LED dimmer which operates by pulse width modulation:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12V-Wireless-LED-lamp-Light-Single-Controller-Dimmer-/130579028896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e671d dba0

The controller box fits under the side cover near the fuse box and the controller fob is secured to the left mirror mount by two wrap-ties. The fact that the controller fob is wireless makes little difference but since it is well weather sealed, it should endure well. In order to indicate whether the unit is on or off, and give some indication of level, I installed a 12 volt LED in parallel with the grip heaters and tucked it under the wire harness wrap on the bar.

If the unit endures for some time, I plan to remove it from it's plastic box and mount into a smaller enclosure although there is much more room than needed where it is located. The main reason for removing from the box will be to dispense with the spring loaded clip connections since these look like weather related trouble in the long term.

One point for anyone using one of these controllers is that the positive and negative leads from the bar heaters need to run to the "Output" positive and negativer terminals on the box. One cannot ground the box's negative output for the unit to work.

Comment

Good stuff, Norm.
        Last edited by tkent02; 02-13-2012, 01:23 AM.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Want to sell me the rest of your wire... I have a plan to make some add-on arms for my vest like Widder used to sell.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Salty, just order a 100 foot roll of Belden Hook-up wire #83000 010 (BLK) black, it is 30 AWG silver coated copper with Teflon insulation. It only costs about $20.00 per hundred feet which will be about the same as postage from here.

I used 32 feet (16 feet per side) for bar heaters and run the two in series. For jackets I use 25 feet wire = 70 Watts/5 amps @ 14 volts. You may wish to modify the length for your arm warmers as even the 32 feet may be too much.

I would appreciate hearing how you get on with the project.

If a suggestion wouldn't be out of order, I suggest that you shelve the arm warmers and save the vest for other wear. Go to a local thrift store and buy a pile jacket for experimenting and make a complete heated jacket so that you have a one piece garment. IME, this will be easier than dealing with connecting the wiring into the arm warmers.

I've found that the problem in making heated gear is to develop a termination between the heating element wire (Belden 30 AWG) and the heavier power cord to plug into the bike. I've found that the light wire is not suitable for the cord because it is too light and adds resistance/heat where is not wanted and also is not robust enough to stand snagging.

It seems to work best to loop the Belden wire back into a connection where the power cord wire (AWG 16 or 14) is anchored by several tie wraps into the seam of the jacket or vest. I really prefer a jacket over a vest after having both for many years. When I need the heat, the vest adds insulation to the torso but the arms and hands get colder because they have more exposed area and are more in the wind, even with a fairing.

In order to keep my arms warm it is necessary to wear another layer of clothing so the torso always has one more layer than the arms which actually need the extra. In cold weather I wear the heated pile jacket under my Olympia 3-season or Velocity cold weather jacket and with 70 Watts on tap, cannot run it much above 1/2 way on the controller unless am feeling ill or some factor like that enters the mix.

I seldom use my heated gloves as the Hein Gerlich heated grips on my ST1100 will cook hot dogs but will see how I get on if riding the GS850 in the cold. The GS lacks the alternator capacity to run grips and jacket at a very high setting but don't intend to run that one in the very cold.

The controller problem has been bothering me for some time as wanted to do the GS on a very tight budget so looked at building a pulse width modulator or adapting something else. Adapting has generally been the most cost effective option in the past for these projects and just got lucky to have found something which was acquired for another project.

FWIW, the KED controller has an On/Off button, a Power Up botton and a Power Down. It remembers the setting when turned off which is handy. Some indicator is needed with the bar heaters in order to know whether they are on or off because of the lag in heating and cooling. Maybe not needed but the LED indicator is a nice touch.

I bought a bag of red 12 volt LED's with about 6 inch lead wires very cheaply off EBay. If they can't be found I can try looking back in my purchase history. They are handy things to have around for all kinds of projects. I carry one in the tool kit in case of the need to check for power at the roadside.

Time to hit the hay but hoping this is useful.

Making a heated jacket is simple as pie so would never buy one again. The wire needs only to be cut to length and laid out onto the jacket (turned inside out) in order to work out the run. I held it in place with pieces of masking tape until had it worked out. If someone needs it, I can describe the locations used for the loops but really all which is needed is to run up to the shoulder, down the arm to just above the wrist on the front of the sleeve, cross to the back of the sleeve and back up to the shoulder.

From the shoulder (at the back) loop back and forth across the back, the reverse run on the other arm and down to the bottom seam. From there, hook into the lead wire (AWG 14 or 16) which crosses in the bottom rear seam back to the left front to match up with the other lead wire. They are anchored firmly again then go into the pocket for storage and leading out to the plug on the bike.

I made my first one watching a movie one evening. The Belden wire was loop stitched in place and I'm no seamstress! My mother (85 years) is into quilting so got her to zig-zag stitch the wire into the jacket afterwards but there was really no need. The Belden wire goes back into the nap of the pile jacket (inside not the outside/fuzzy side). My first one worked so well that I never bothered making another "better" one so was glad I chose a jacket in good condition from the good will store.

Thought of making a heated seat pad but don't need one so... My ST1100 has a 60 amp alternator so could make toast on that one if needed but the GS is a 1979 with the little alternator which will only carry heated grips and a bit more because I converted to an HID headlight which draws about 1/2 of the H4.

Off to sleep.

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Want to sell me the rest of your wire... I have a plan to make some add-on arms for my vest like Widder used to sell.

Comment

It might be interesting to start a thread titled, "Projects for those who are really cheap". It might bring out some really good projects such as the heated grip and clothing I've done.

Oh, FWIW, the grips controller runs off the original accessory fuse which has been rewired to operate key on from a relay.

Comment

The Vest works great for 99% of what I do. I prefer the vest because mostly it would be too warm here with the Jacket when it's ok with the Vest.

I like being able to wear the vest & gradually adjust as it cools off without having to keep stopping to add layers etc.

Just occasionally I'd like to be able to add arms as I do miss them (mostly when riding at night). The arms will also fold very small so less gear to carry.

I'll let you know if I ever get around to doing them. I have aux plugs on my vest so I can plug them both in via one plug or even one plug per aux socket of I wanted to.
                I am think 1 plug & joining them across the shoulders might be a good way to hold them up, allow easier extra wire length & be easier to plug in.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I like it, gonna make a set. So, whipped up a little XL spread sheet to see some options.
                  I used the spec sheet for the Belden 83000 wire of .11 ohms/ft and assume 14Vdc right at the heater wire (after wiring and switches).
                  Was wondering why you used 32 feet,,.. then! (duh), you can get 3 pairs of grip wires outa 100' spool.

Those grips might feel pretty hot with 27 watts on each. I figured I might keep it simple and use a 2 or 3.3 ohm resistor in series with the whole series circuit and then put a switch across the resistor, a Hi/Lo switch (Hi is 27 watts, low is 17 watts or 27/14)
                  The series dumping resistor will have to handle up to 15 watts.
                  Wish there was a place where the extra watts could go rather than just a resistor (heated Foot Pegs?).
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
                    It might be interesting to start a thread titled, "Projects for those who are really cheap". It might bring out some really good projects such as the heated grip and clothing I've done.
                    Something like this?

Its an old thread, but its had recent contributions.

Comment

Adler, thanks for the link. I will look through.

Wizard, the problem with using the cold reststance for a wire used as a heating element is that the temperature and so rsistance cannot be predicted. In fact the difference between cold and hot resistance is usually significant enough to compromise the application. IME, the only way to succeed is to make an educated estimate, measure current at the intended voltage and then to shorten the curcuit as needed. If one estimated based on too short a conductor length then start over.

The resistance and current flow will not be linear because higher temperatures increase resistance. In addition, operating the wire in the presence of various thermal gradients (insulation versus temperature difference between internal and external temperatures) and the effects of wind chill on the exterior combine to further confound theory.

Note your spread sheet's line showing 33 feet and estimating 27 Watts of heat output. By actual measurement the output is 22 Watts per grip/ 44 Watts total because the actual current flow is 3.2 Amps @ 13.7 volts giving a heated resistance of 4.28 Ohms. Your resistance value would be cold resistance which does not apply to the heated circuit.

Of course, you will likely now point out that I could calculate the average temperature of the wire by referencing the change in resistance against the manufacturer's specifications but before you do that I wish to draw attention to a previous post in which I indicated that I am lazy.

The problem of using series resistance in order to reduce heat for motorcycle useage is significant because of the problems in dissapating the heat. If one uses a fairly compact resistor then its temperature creates problems in terms of surrounding materials and of water exposure for the resistor. A large resistor has space issues and both exhibit the power waste which smaller capacity motorcycycles can ill afford. My 1979 GS850 has the small early alternator and is pushed to carry the grips with the other normal loads. It is only because of the HID headlight's power saving that the grips can be borne in city riding.

For this reason I greatly prefer a pulse width modulator in order to control heat output. For those not aware of this system, it is everywhere in modern electrical devices. How to explain simply without a picture???

Google "pulse width modulation" and you should find any number of good explanations. Haven't looked but must be there.

In brief, it works like this. Let's say each second is divided into ten segments and that the circuit is turned on at the beginning of each second for some period of time. In order to operate the heater at full temperature (full current flow) the circuit would be switched on at the beginning of each second but not switched off.

In order to operate at 1/2 power, instead of using resistance to cut the current flow in 1/2, the power is turned on to full but for only 1/2 the time.

If O = On and X = Off. A full power for two, one second intervals would look like this:

OOOOOOOOOO/OOOOOOOOOO

For 1/2 power, it would look like this:

OOOOOXXXXX/OOOOOXXXXX

1/10 power:

OXXXXXXXX/OXXXXXXXX

For 80% power

OOOOOOOOXX/OOOOOOOOXX

The modulator turns the current on for different pulse lengths of time depending on the power requirement. Advantage = no need to use resistance so no surplus heat or power waste.

I suggested the LED controller from EBay although some people prefer to make their own: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12V-Wireless-LED-lamp-Light-Single-Controller-Dimmer-/130579028896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e671d dba0

I have posted this set-up in several groups but maybe didn't mention the controller?

It uses a wireless key fob which is weatherproof and has an indicator diode which flashes when one of the buttons is depressed (On/Off, Power Up, Power Down). The controller is reasonably compact but the only disadvantage is that it used spring loaded contacts in order to connect. I sprayed the connectors with a wax based anti-corrosion material but will likely mount the board into a different container once am satisfied that the reliablity is acceptable.

It has input postive and negative for 12 volt power and likewise positive and negative for output. The only issue with connecting is that the output negative cannot use the common chassis ground or share the same circuit as for the input negative. At least I cannot get one to function in that manner.

Not a big deal as it isn't a problem to run both grip heater leads back to the controller. I used a 12 volt LED in parallel with the heaters to provide an indication that the heaters are on since the fob's LED simply flashes when any button is pushed so can't determine whether it means on or off.

The LED also gives a rough indication of the circuit power although it takes some practice to interpret. No biggie as cold hands mean turn up power and hot mean turn down. Even a decrepid old codger can work that out I find.

What did I miss....?....

Oh, yes. Just a repeat that using an ohmmeter to determine cold resistance is usually of almost no value in a circuit involving resistance heating. Likewise a circuit involving a dynamic device such as an electric motor is not well interpreted by an ohmmeter. In the motor vehicle repair trades, an ohmmeter is seldom used excepting for specific applications.

Likewise one will seldom hear electrical specialists use the Watt as values are better expressed by their direct measurement of amps. & volts.

Comment

Yup, that's right, forgot about the resistance/thermal gradient.
                        "Good Engineering" usually stays away from that area.
                        As the cross sectional area of the conductor drops, the heating/resistance effect gets bad fast.
                        PWM is a good idea, since the energy not needed, is just not used, no need to dissipate anything.
                        With the Low Ro On resistance of modern FETs, there is not much heating.
                        The PWM box should barley get warm.
                        I would recommend a decent inductor on the supply side, so no pulsing makes its way back into the +12V system and effect the CDI, or Radar Detector, or GPS,,..
                        Here's a question,,.. if we have the same RF Inverter Controller, and our bikes are close together,,.. can I turn your grip heaters ON?
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Looks interesting, though 3 watts doesn't sound like much.
                          I'll guess the red sleeves are Heat Shrink.
                          They appear to be wired in parallel.

Comment

Wizard, we doan kneed know steeenkeeeng See--Dee-Eyes. We got breaker points. In fact the most complex item on the '79 GS850 is the automatic cancelling box for the turn signals.

All this new fangled electronic stuff is just a passing fad! It will never last.

Now that you mention, it will be interesting to hook the oscilloscope to the main power circuit to see if there's any sign of a wave form.

Norm

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
                            Yup, that's right, forgot about the resistance/thermal gradient.
                            "Good Engineering" usually stays away from that area.
                            As the cross sectional area of the conductor drops, the heating/resistance effect gets bad fast.
                            PWM is a good idea, since the energy not needed, is just not used, no need to dissipate anything.
                            With the Low Ro On resistance of modern FETs, there is not much heating.
                            The PWM box should barley get warm.
                            I would recommend a decent inductor on the supply side, so no pulsing makes its way back into the +12V system and effect the CDI, or Radar Detector, or GPS,,..
                            Here's a question,,.. if we have the same RF Inverter Controller, and our bikes are close together,,.. can I turn your grip heaters ON?

Comment

Working...
                            X