Basic electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic electrical

Being new to this group, I may be presuming but wonder if there is interest in some basic electrical theory and practice?

Please, don't anyone misunderstand my intent as I'm a retired tech & instructor with several certifications which include the automotive electrical which has spilled over into motorcycle, marine, etc.

I know that many people who are much smarter and better educated in the sciences that I struggle with electrical issues but have found that all which most people need is some basic help to get started and then they're off.

If there is interest, I can post some pieces on electrical basics & testing.

I'm more verbal than visual so often have to be coaxed to include diagrams but that's doable.

Norm

I'm usually decent with the theory side of electrical, but I sometimes get bamboozled by its application to motorcycles...
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

We are very lucky here on the GSR forums to have some AWESOME Knowledge shared through sites like BassCLiff's web page >>> http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Just about everything you need to know about the GS bikes from the headlight to the final drive is available with a few clicks of your mouse.

Comment

Ohm's Law,AC-DC,why and how,to do and not to do,safety,practical application,basic foundation building of subject understanding.I stare at the wall socket outlet,it's electricfying to me,a juicy subject.I can't get enough.Your offering is most gracious.Folks post for A to Q,help, assistance..a person learns to be able to help themself after a while ,GS forums is for you/us/all."Power(elect.and other kinds) to the people.." chant/rant from 60's Thanks to all members at GSR,founding fathers,current admin.editors,and all I missed

Comment

A very basic (kindergarten level) electrical explanation would be very helpful. (You know, how the big bad magnet scares the nice little electrons and chases them down the wire to the light bulb)
          We get a lot of guys here who have zero knowledge, can't imagine how a horn button works, or what a stator wire is for...
          They always seem to find and buy the bikes with crapped out electrical systems.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I agree -- I'd say simplified theory would be helpful.

Even the stator papers delve a bit too much into abstract theory, which confuses impatient n00bs greatly. (Those who actually read the whole thing do end up greatly enlightened, but it seems rare to find someone who will bother.)

Then again, the extremely detailed instructions about what to poke with what lead are also very confusing. Without some inkling of why you're doing things, you'll focus on irrelevant details.

What we need is the right amount of theory, placed in very simple terms. Plumbing analogies work quite well at this level.

More pictures and video would help greatly as well. The commonly used diagram of a stator, for example, doesn't look anything at all like a stator. N00bs tend to have a lot of trouble telling components apart.

Also, a list of common GS wire colors would be helpful. They're the same on just about every GS model. At least the charging system wires, and wires that carry more current, such as the headlight circuit.

Also, a detailed description with photos of exactly how to inspect and clean electrical connections would be very useful. What to look for, what problems look like in the real world, how to get various styles of connector apart, how to handle burned or swollen connectors, how to extract terminals from connectors, what exactly you can use to clean them, how to clean them, how to repair or bypass various problems, etc.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Personally I'd like to see a motorcycle-specific tutorial on how to use a multimeter to diagnose different issues.

Comment

Basic multimeter use would be a great one, if someone has no clue how to use one, its quite difficult to help them

Comment

Great idea Norm. I look forward to reading your thread, especially in relation to the proper use of a multi meter.
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

You description of your background and knowledge is similar to mine so I may contribute if you don't mind.
                    Associates Degree in Automotive / Diesel Technology, 17 year in the Dealerships with practical Automotive electrical experiance. 6 years as a Jet Aircraft Crew Chief, Now 15 years as an Industrial Maintenance Manager.
                    Cut my teeth on 12V DC, Multi-Meters are a valiable tool. I learned a lot can be done with a simple test light when looking for both Power and Ground... but they are often overlooked.... and I post a lot of Pics

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
                      You description of your background and knowledge is similar to mine so I may contribute if you don't mind.
                      Associates Degree in Automotive / Diesel Technology, 17 year in the Dealerships with practical Automotive electrical experiance. 6 years as a Jet Aircraft Crew Chief, Now 15 years as an Industrial Maintenance Manager.
                      Cut my teeth on 12V DC, Multi-Meters are a valiable tool. I learned a lot can be done with a simple test light when looking for both Power and Ground... but they are often overlooked.... and I post a lot of Pics

Makes a good timing light too.

Comment

Too late tonight but let's pick away at this can of worms, Graham (and anyone willing to help). Basic concepts such as volts, amps, Ohms, Watts, etc. are easy to look up but, as someone said, can become difficult to apply.

Tomorrow,

Norm

Comment

Having just encountered some rudeness here, my motivation has abated for now so will shelve this project.

Norm

Comment

Eh, don't let em get ya down. There are quite a few members that are looking forward to your Multimeter Basics writeup

Comment

Flux,here and there at times..try some counter emf,those resistors are out of phase anyhow,you are in synch.the scope is accurate on that.Sorry to have heard about situation,I for one was hoping for best.I have heard that sometimes a bit of "razz"means upcoming acceptance(strange concept).Anyhow,Normk,give it more time,maybe that's all there is to it anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                              X