Another LED signal light question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another LED signal light question

I've read through the various posts re: signals not flashing after installing LEDs and how to correct the problem by installing diodes in the indicator light circuit. Here's my situation: I connected the the front signal light wire to both the running light and signal filaments. Naturally, both filaments come on when the signal is switched on. I then installed a coiled LED strip in the rear signal housing as a replacement for the stock bulb. I knew the LED strip would draw only a 1/10 of the stock bulb but felt the flasher would still work because the additional filament is being used up front but it doesn't. Instead, the signal lights (on the side that is activated) come on but don't flash.
    Is there a relatively easy way to get the flasher to work, other than returning to the original signal light setup? FWIW, I'm wondering if adding a resistor in the circuit would do the trick. However, if it would, I'm not sure where exactly to install it.
    Thanks,
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

You would have to add a LOT of LEDs to get your stock flasher to work.

Two options (assuming you want to keep your LEDs):

1. Install a resistor IN PARALLEL with your signals. This will allow additional current through the flasher, making it work as intended.
    Not just any resistor, it has to be sized (ohms and watts) to handle the load.
    Note that this option will not save any current, if that is your reason for changing to LEDs.

2. Install a flasher that is made for LEDs. This will flash the signals, no matter if you are using LEDs or headlight bulbs.
    The only drawback is that, if your bike has self-cancelling signals, they will never self-cancel again.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You can get a no-load flasher from most auto parts stores (and eBay or Amazon) for less than $15.

Comment

Saving current was an unimportant bonus that I don't care about. However, I didn't realize the self-cancelling feature would be affected if I change flashers. I'm guessing that a flasher meant for LEDs is the same type (ie no-load) that Bob suggested. If not, would the no-load flasher require the installation of diodes and affect the self-canceller?
        Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
          Saving current was an unimportant bonus that I don't care about. However, I didn't realize the self-cancelling feature would be affected if I change flashers. I'm guessing that a flasher meant for LEDs is the same type (ie no-load) that Bob suggested. If not, would the no-load flasher require the installation of diodes and affect the self-canceller?
          Willie
          the running light filament is about 4 to 8 watts, the signal filament is 20 or 30 or so.

A running light + a flasher is not equal to two flashers.

A load resistor would allow the use of the stock flasher and self canceler.

I don't know if the self canceler would work with a no-load flasher

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
            A load resistor would allow the use of the stock flasher and self canceler.
            Thanks MB. That's exactly the info I was lookin for. Could you suggest a resistor size and where to install it?

Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Thanks MB. That's exactly the info I was lookin for. Could you suggest a resistor size and where to install it?

Willie
              Custom Dynamics

Chrome Glow

eBay

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks again Steve. I'm always impressed with just how helpful the members of this forum are.
                Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

It looks like my main choices on ebay are a 25 watt or 50 watt resistor. Both are 6 ohms. I read the #s on the bulb I'm replacing and its 23 watts (kinda odd IMO). Am I correct to order a 25 watt resistor? Just wanna make sure before committing. Also, FWIW, I checked the local Radio Shack for a load resistor and all they carry are the ceramic type.
                  I doubt they'll work but would like to know for sure about that too.
                  Thanks in advance,
                  Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Thanks again Steve. I'm always impressed with just how helpful the members of this forum are.
                    Willie
                    Sorry, but you haven't seen "helpful" yet.

"Helpful" is when one of the members will drive to where you are and give you a hand. Doesn't even need to be your house. If you are stuck on the side of the road somewhere, someone will likely do what they can to help get you going again.

Your location is not all that far out of the way for me. I have been known to go down Rt. 23, just to avoid I-75.

Some of us (probably just me ) even travel on weekends to help others. I do it because I am stuck in various locations for work for several weeks at a time, with nothing to do on the weekends, so I find somewhere to get my fingernalis dirty.

It looks like my main choices on ebay are a 25 watt or 50 watt resistor. Both are 6 ohms. I read the #s on the bulb I'm replacing and its 23 watts (kinda odd IMO). Am I correct to order a 25 watt resistor?
                    You only plan on lighting up one light?

Your bike is designed to send power to one light on the front and one light on the rear, for a total of 46 watts, so get the 50 watt resistors.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Just for future, a standard electronic no load flasher from autozone or where-ever will run LEDs without problem. Used em on my cafe, and used one of those little cylinder shaped flasher units, worked a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Your location is not all that far out of the way for me. I have been known to go down Rt. 23, just to avoid I-75.
                        You only plan on lighting up one light?
                        Your bike is designed to send power to one light on the front and one light on the rear, for a total of 46 watts, so get the 50 watt resistors.
                        The strangest thing about Rte 23, for me, has been that I've ridden through rain every time I've been on 23, some where. Nice road though.
                        As for the power consumption of my signals. My reasoning behind going with the 25 watt resistor was that I thought each "corner" needed its own resistor. I've got over 25 watts going to the front 2 because I'm staying with the OEM set up. I'm only converting the back 2.

And KC, I want to keep the self cancelling feature of my current setup and got the impression that wouldn't work with an LED flasher.
                        Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

As for the power consumption of my signals. My reasoning behind going with the 25 watt resistor was that I thought each "corner" needed its own resistor.
                          The resistance in ohms is what determines how much power the resistor will use.

The power rating only tells you how much power it will take to blow it up... under specified test conditions ... which you might exceed.

The 25 watt one will be right at the edge of what it can take.

The 50 watt one will have a decent safety margin.

Upgrade to the 50 watt one.

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                            The resistance in ohms is what determines how much power the resistor will use.

The power rating only tells you how much power it will take to blow it up... under specified test conditions ... which you might exceed.

The 25 watt one will be right at the edge of what it can take.

The 50 watt one will have a decent safety margin.

Upgrade to the 50 watt one.

Also, a 6 ohm resistor dissipates 24 watts at 12 volts

Our bikes run at say 14.4 ... 6 ohms at 14.4 volts is 35 watts

Comment

Thanks alot for the additional information. Its all clear to me now. I'll go with the 50 ohm unit. But, still believe, according to the info in the item description that I'll need one for each light I'm replacing. Except for one, that's listed as a Kaw replacement unit that works for 2 lights (each side).
                              Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Working...
                              X