Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im a newby to the forums with a similar issue
    i have an 82 gs1100g, replaced rear turn signals with smaller 10w bulbs
    now my signals turn on but don't blink. i purchased a 3 prong universal replacement flasher and the lights do not even turn on (the ebay seller said it will work - contacted him and he had no idea what the problem could be)

Comment

Why did you go to the 10W bulbs? To decrease the electrical load? The stock bulbs are pretty cheap at auto parts stores. Maybe the replacemnt flasher is bad. Seems lights should at least turn on if not flash. Is the replacement a "no load" type? I have a Vetter fairing and trunk and I think all the lights were compromising my charging ability. I changed the running lights on the trunk to LEDS but haven't done anything to the signals. I'm going to change my trunk brake lights to LEDS also.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

i broke stock blinker stem and found a set of arrow shaped blinkers cheaper than the originals were gonna cost.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Is it a no-load flasher? That's what you need for such a low wattage bulb, or for LEDs. You can get them at most auto parts stores.

Comment

Originally posted by carey View Post
            im a newby to the forums with a similar issue
            i have an 82 gs1100g, replaced rear turn signals with smaller 10w bulbs
            now my signals turn on but don't blink. i purchased a 3 prong universal replacement flasher and the lights do not even turn on (the ebay seller said it will work - contacted him and he had no idea what the problem could be)
            Something below that could be confusing.

The stock GS flasher relay flashes slower with less load or a blown bulb and at some point even stops flashing and the lights stay on. They are actually on in normal state and the lights go off every time the relay is energized.

Automotive flasher units on the other hand usually flash faster with less load or if a bulb is blown. They are actually off in normal state and the lights come on every time the flasher relay is energized. So with less load (smaller bulbs) they may not have enough current flowing to get the flasher to change state from normally off to on, thus the lights stay out.

This is due to the design of a specific flasher relay to allow it to be controlled by the turn cancelling unit.

The only way to overcome flasher problems if you have a faulty stock flasher relay or non stock bulbs (less than 2 x 23 Watt) is to fit a flasher unit that is not dependant on the load provided by the bulbs, or to add additional load by fitting resistors which are bulky, get hot and for which there is seldom proper space and cooling. I personally would stay away from this if possible.
            You should also note that fitting any other flasher unit than the OEM type will disable the self cancelling function.
            The 3 pin electronic flasher relays usually require an extra ground wire to be run to the flasher relay.

Comment

Working...
            X