No announcement yet.

Battery drain while bike is on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all due respect, cowboyup, I suggest ignoring the taillight/brakelight at this time. It has no bearing on the charging issue at all.
    Possible causes could be as simple as a burned out element. But the issue at hand is charging, not a malfunctioning bulb and/or circuit.
    Smellii, you are performing a diode test. A properly functioning diode allows power to pass one way and not the other. It is basically a one-way valve, thinking in the terms of a fluid. If it does not allow power to pass either way, the diode(s) fails. Sending you a PM.

Comment

Understood Kid and I do agree with you. I just figured it would be good to get something extraneous out of the way that's draining additional power away and causing even a minor issue.

Smelli, listen to Kid as he's A LOT better at this than I am. Hope you get it figured out soon.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ok. fixed the tail light. The front switch at the handlebar was all gunked up. Cleaned it out and scrubbed the connection area and both switches work like they should. It needed to be done anyway.

So if I couldn't get any continuity from the R/R does that mean it's shot? No further testing needed?

Comment

Originally posted by Smellii View Post
          So if I couldn't get any continuity from the R/R does that mean it's shot? No further testing needed?
          I did not see where you managed to do ALL TWELVE diode checks.

You need to connect the black meter lead to the positive (output) of the R/R and touch the red lead to each of the input leads from the stator. Reverse the meter leads, put the red meter lead on the positive of the R/R, touch the three input leads. Now put the black meter lead on the negative (ground) of the R/R, touch the red to all three input leads. Finally, put the red meter lead to the negative of the R/R, touch all three input leads. Yes, that is a total of TWELVE separate readings. Six of them should show one type of reading, the other six should show another reading. What the actual reading is will depend on whether your meter has a diode test function or if you are using the OHMs function. Regardless, half of your readings will be one value, the other half, another value. If you have any malfunction in the rectifier portion of the R/R, the ratio will not be 6/6.

Also keep in mind that all twelve readings may be just fine, indicating that the rectifier portion is OK, but the REGULATOR portion could be faulty.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I did not see where you managed to do ALL TWELVE diode checks.

You need to connect the black meter lead to the positive (output) of the R/R and touch the red lead to each of the input leads from the stator....
            The input leads of the R/R from the stator?

Comment

I used the diode setting. I usually get an audible beeping sound if continuity is present but not in these tests for some reason. Only got these values.

You need to connect the black meter lead to the positive (output) of the R/R and touch the red lead to each of the input leads from the stator.
              A:547
              B:555
              C:536
              Reverse the meter leads, put the red meter lead on the positive of the R/R, touch the three input leads.
              A:1
              B:1
              C:1
              Now put the black meter lead on the negative (ground) of the R/R, touch the red to all three input leads.
              B:539
              Finally, put the red meter lead to the negative of the R/R, touch all three input leads.
              B:1

Looks like it's faulty.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2011, 09:48 PM.

Comment

B:539
                Looks like it's faulty.
                Yep, 'fraid so.

Now that you know you need a new R/R, which way you gonna go?

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Got a used oem one on the way. May be a good temp fix until I can afford a new aftermarket one.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate your time.

Comment

was following the conversation here, let us now if she runs fine after you swapped the R/R

Comment

Will do......

Comment

Just out of curiosity, did you get it any cheaper than THIS?

I would hate to have you spend money twice, especially since you said
                          2: I'm poor so I couldn't go into replacement mode even if I wanted to.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I did actually. Got some help from another forum member. (greatly appreciated) Thanks for looking out for me though, Steve.

Comment

I would hate to have you spend money twice, especially since you said

that s why i love this forum

Comment

...and so she sits with no means of regulating herself...

Comment

Working...
                                X