Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion over older rectifier.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. So I'm confused about this part:

I have one like it and am not sure where it's supposed to go - as I already have a regulator rectifier with the 3 wires and ground hooked up - I don't notice any place for it on the harness either. Any idea what this part is? Is it the regulator part of a split system vs the newer units that do both?

That was from the days when the regulator was separate from the rectifier (they do two different things). You don't need it, yours are together in one box.

Comment

Awesome just wanted to be sure.

Thx... now reading up for the coil relay mod...

Comment

Originally posted by DCrippa View Post
        ... now reading up for the coil relay mod...
        Did you do any measurements to verify that you "need" the coil relay mod?

Before doing anything else, measure the voltage at the coils while the bike is running and compare that to the voltage at the battery.
        If it's within a volt or so, you won't really gain anything by doing the mod.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

To add to that, if you have properly cleaned or repaired all the connections on your bike, as you should, you won't need to do the coil relay mod, and may avoid a lot of other problems in the process.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Use your voltmeter to confirm the need for service or modification. Connect the meter's positive to the battery + and the meter's negative lead to the switch side of the ignition coils. With engine running you should have 0.5 volt or less indicated voltage. This method is that of measuring the voltage drop/voltage difference between the two sample points.

It saves subtracting the values if one measures voltage at battery and at coils and avoids having something mess you up if the system voltage changes while doing the voltage measurements.

Steve's suggestion that it be between a volt or so is solid advise as I would not bother with the relay modification if within that range. My figure is ideal value. His takes into account the trouble, expense and increased complexity which should not be ignored.

If you think that you may gain something from doing the relay modification when there is a volt or so drop, simply install a heavy jumper wire temporarily and see if you can discern a result. I'll go 1/2's with Steve to buy you a donut if there is any benefit seen.

One problem with these old girls is that there isn't much to do once they are sorted. If one likes to tinker and wrench on an ongoing basis, buy something old and British.

Comment

thanks for the tips - I haven't applied any juice yet just figured since I was going about wiring it up it would be a good mod to do...

I still have a few connections coming from the Gauges that I need to figure out how to wire up through the harness I've got. The guages I'm trying to use with this harness have different colored wires or so it seems...

I also still have to get my neighbor to help me weld a battery tray - I was going to locate it under the tail hump of the airtech seat but have now realized due to the length of the harness it's not gonna work so I'm putting it under the pods closer to the engine for a lower center of gravity and it'll be protected by the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
                One problem with these old girls is that there isn't much to do once they are sorted. If one likes to tinker and wrench on an ongoing basis, buy something old and British.

heheh now that you mention it I would love to have a norton one day... something to look forward to I guess.

Comment

Working...
                X