Another What is this request...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another What is this request...

This is under the air box. Sorry for the pic. There's a lot of grime under there to clean.

Thanks,

Sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Can barely see the picture. Can you post a bigger size because I also cannot access it.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That's your ignition ignitor box.

Comment

Yep, it's the ignitor, for sure.

That one is rather rare, it only came on a few models for a couple of years.

My wife's '82 850L has one, none of the other 850s in my garage has that style.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

That one is rather rare, it only came on a few models for a couple of years.

My wife's '82 850L has one, none of the other 850s in my garage has that style.

Came on 83 1100 and 82? Maybe as well. Same ignitor as the earlier black box ones just a different package.

Comment

Here's a manual link http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/..._77-82_all.pdf might help to sort stuff like this out.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Can barely see the picture. Can you post a bigger size because I also cannot access it.
              Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              That's your ignition ignitor box.
              Originally posted by Steve View Post

Wow, you guys were good. Course, it might have been the way I was sitting in my chair because now I can see it...
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yeah, I found that guide after I posted and thought it was the igniter. Now educate me. What does it do? And you say it's a rare one. Is that a good thing or bad? Should I replace it with a newer style?

Thanks again guys.

Sci85
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

What does it do? Simple. You know what points do in an ignition system? The ignitor is simply an electronic version of points.
                  It is NOT a CDI box or anything 'magic', it simply interrupts the current to the coils, and that causes the magnetic field that has built up in the coils to collapse, generating the spark that goes to the plugs.

Update to a newer version? Not necessary. Actually the plugs are different between the two versions that I have, so you would have to do some re-wiring, too.

Good/bad? Doesn't really matter. The only 'bad' part is that if you need to replace it, it might take a bit longer for one to turn up.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Most replace the entire system with a Dyna S, although the 550 signal generator replacements can be problematic.
                    I have one from an 850 laying around Steve. I bought it and never used it. Yours for what I paid if the numbers match.

Comment

Interesting. So where is the signal generator? And what is a dyna s? Sorry for all the questions. I have been around dirt bikes all my life and the systems on those are super simple CDI Based systems. Still learning the street side of things.

Thanks again,
                      Sci85
                      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

There are pickup coils on the right side of the crank behind the Suzuki emblem cover. A metal pin interrupts the magnetic field on each pickup and causes 1-4 or 2-3 coils to fire. They are marked as well. No adjustments needed in there,

The ignitors have circuitry that shapes the signal a bit and compensates for speed a little. The differences between the models are subtle enough to require the same module, not just for the plug wiring sake.

Generally they are very reliable, the exceptions being certain models for newer 550 and 1100 bikes which always seem to have problems. I've repaired one for a member here because it was a rare version, needed new transistors.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the explanation duaneage. Learning a ton from everyone.

Sci85
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Working...
                          X