Driving lights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving lights...

I want to get some driving lights for my 850L. My dad had some on the bike 20 years ago but he burnt out the stater and had to replace it. What lights are people using that the stock stater will handle? Don't want to damage anything if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

Originally posted by MiloBramble View Post
    I want to get some driving lights for my 850L. My dad had some on the bike 20 years ago but he burnt out the stater and had to replace it. What lights are people using that the stock stater will handle? Don't want to damage anything if I can avoid it.

Thanks.
    Traditional driving lights draw quite a bit of power. HIDs are better (after they fire up) and they put out a LOT more light for a little less power. I've installed a few sets on various bikes (including one of my own) and they are amazing.

That said, for your GS I'd look into LED driving lights. LEDs are starting to be used as more than marker lights these days (the new Ducati Panigale has them stock) and they draw MUCH less power and last forever. You can also adjust the brightness easily. Try this place - their stuff is pretty good. http://www.clearwaterlights.com I haven't seen their driving lights, but their fogs are awesome. I've also seen some amazing LED sets on off-road bikes too (not sure who makes them), but they must be starting to catch on. New tech allows the beams to project much farther than in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Mac View Post
      Traditional driving lights draw quite a bit of power. HIDs are better (after they fire up) and they put out a LOT more light for a little less power. I've installed a few sets on various bikes (including one of my own) and they are amazing.

That said, for your GS I'd look into LED driving lights. LEDs are starting to be used as more than marker lights these days (the new Ducati Panigale has them stock) and they draw MUCH less power and last forever. You can also adjust the brightness easily. Try this place - their stuff is pretty good. http://www.clearwaterlights.com I haven't seen their driving lights, but their fogs are awesome. I've also seen some amazing LED sets on off-road bikes too (not sure who makes them), but they must be starting to catch on. New tech allows the beams to project much farther than in the past.
      Thanks for the quick reply...will check the site for LED's.

Comment

Those Clearwater lights look great. It would be very cool if they made a set to fit in a 7" headlight bucket.

Comment

Hi,

Check out the products from http://www.hyperlites.com and see if there's something you like. The while LED running lights shouldn't strain the stator.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Check out the products from http://www.hyperlites.com and see if there's something you like. The while LED running lights shouldn't strain the stator.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Thanks BassCliff.

Comment

Forgive what may seem to be an obvious question but what do you mean by "driving lights"? The term is sometimes used interchangeably with running lights or marker lights which are low output lights used to indicate vehicle position.

The term is also used to mean the additional/supplemental high output lights used with headlight high beams. I'm interested in your intended use and how you intend to mount the lights as to location & orientation.

One thing I have learned from the cruiser people is the effectiveness of the triangle of headlight + (2) driving lights.

Some of the Brits on other groups talk frequently about their lighting requirements vs. road worthiness tests, etc. We have little official attention in that regards and what seems to be an increasingly tolerant driving public.

It is always useful to hear what others are planning/thinking.

Comment

Working...
              X