Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melted Negative Battery Terminal

Uh oh, or maybe not?

79 1000L ran perfectly fo 60 miles 3 days ago. Yesterday I tried to start it. Engine turned over but did not catch, then a small puff of white smoke and all electricity died. I charged the battery overnight, but it is still dead, so obviously that is a gonner.

I guess the next step is to check and clean all connections to the battery, starter, and grounds. If anyone has experienced this or has any insight, I'd greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks as always.

Tom

Originally posted by tpalmer1359 View Post
    check and clean all connections to the battery, starter, and grounds.
    Check (change) all the fuses. Clean all the connectors on the bike. Before you try to start again check the oil for possible overfull condition which is an indication that fuel has entered your crankcase.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Sounds to me that the starter may have locked up a bit causing an electrical back load. Also check the charging system once you get it goingb again. I would pul the starter and see if the armeture is not wiggling in the bushings..just to eliminate a hanging starter issue.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Sounds to me that the starter may have locked up a bit causing an electrical back load. Also check the charging system once you get it goingb again. I would pul the starter and see if the armeture is not wiggling in the bushings..just to eliminate a hanging starter issue.
        While the starter is out, TEST it! Pos to the post, neg to the body of the starter. If it doesn't turn, you need to rebuild it whether the armature is loose in the bushings or not. I've had the brush plate short out inside before, but the armature will still turn and not feel loose.

Comment

Bet he finds it full of balck powder from the brushes!!!
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Starter turned freely by hand, then spun quickly and quietly when hooked up to battery off the bike. When I came home from work the battery was charged and quickly recharged after being used to test the starter.

Hmmmm?

Comment

Something most obviously caused a seriuos short and grounded that battery out for some reason. Does everything else work on the bike like normal??

Comment

Still say go through the bike front to back. Clean all the connections including every ground.

I replaced almost every bullet connector with covered blade style contractors and even heat shrinked most of those after adding a touch of dielectric greese to each.

Charging system works much better, no more hot wires or nasty bullet connections. Before I did all that I thought my stator was toast.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Something most obviously caused a seriuos short and grounded that battery out for some reason. Does everything else work on the bike like normal??
                  Everything but the rear clutch side blinker. The bulb is burned out.

Comment

Where did the puff of smoke come from?
                    S.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse47 View Post
                      Where did the puff of smoke come from?
                      S.
                      I suspect the negative battery terminal. I have not found any melted or charred wires anywhere on the bike, but am going to look again in detail.

Comment

Bad ground wire or bad ground on the other end of the battery cable.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Bad ground wire or bad ground on the other end of the battery cable.
                          Boy I wish I could find it. The negative cable's connection to the engine is clean and secure. Same for the wire attached to the cross member directly in front of the battery.

Now the battery isn't holding charge. When I have the tender attached to it, I can turn the ignition on and electrics work. I disconnect the tender and zero electrical power.

Could this just be a battery issue, or is there a ground problem that needs to be found and corrected?

Frustrating. The bike ran sooo nicely after all the maintenance I performed recently.

Comment

Hi,

Can you take your battery somewhere to have it load tested?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                              Hi,

Can you take your battery somewhere to have it load tested?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                              Top of my "to do" list!

Comment

Working...
                              X