Bike catching fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike catching fire?

I read a letter addressed to a bike magazine editor that referenced the owner of a early '80s Suzuki GS who's bike caught on fire on the side of the road allegedly due to an overheated charging system.

The worse that ever happened to me was a melted R/R but I can't imagine how actual fire might catch.

Any ideas or heard of such a thing?

I've had wiring catch fire and produce flame. Remember there's a very large gas can right above everything else and I've sure had enough carbs dripping a bit of fuel here and there, or better yet pour fuel out the over flow. I can just see it now, something starts to overheat, fries the wiring, rider smells and might even see smoke, pulls over to check it out, as soon as he does the carb bowl fills up because the float needle decided to stick and fuel pours out the over flow which doesn't have the hose attached directing the fuel away and WHAMO!! bike on fire. Man I can see it in my mind.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Fire IS a real concern. 30+ year old wires ,corrosion, old connections, fuel leaks, backfire through the carbs...

Cleaning up your electrical system and fixing fuel and oil leaks is important.

Do a search on air box fires!

Comment

Hi,

I recall reading about a couple of GSR members who have had their bikes catch fire. Maintenance is important.

Mr. 7981GS just had an airbox fire recently. Luckily all it did was melt his airbox and didn't spread.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I once had a Yamaha XJ650 catch fire and burn out totaly ata red traffic light, due to a leaky fuel tap, best thing that ever happened to that bike, they are RUBBISH.

Comment

My 750 used to shoot some hefty flames out the tailpipe, when I first got it.
            To make matters worse, I later found out that one of the overflow hoses was leaking gas RIGHT onto my exhaust. And my carb boots were found melted.
            (this was back when I first got the bike and It was having some tuning issues)

I still don't think it would be a bad idea to throw a cold fire or tundra can on there, just incase, ha.

Comment

It really can happen. My co-workers GS750 burned to the ground right at work in front of his eyes. Little bit of a leak on the carbs and a hot exhaust finished it off. Total writeoff.

Comment

Working...
              X