New Ebay Stator? any experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Ebay Stator? any experience?

I found this in the bay and it seems like a decent deal, anyone running one or have any input?

GS750C 1977-79. GS750B 1977-79. GS550E 1977-79. GS550L 1979. THESE MODELS USE 2 KINDS OF STATOR. GS425E 1979. GS425L 1979. For Suzuki Models.

thanks!

Hi,

I usually recommend Rick's stators. But I put one of these on my bike a few months ago. The part looks good and is well-constructed. However, the windings are not coated. I don't know yet if this will lead to wear caused by vibration or premature insulation breakdown from oil temperature, although what you usually have to worry about is the internal temperature of the stator windings (heat caused by the increased resistance of corroded connections in the charging system).

They shipped very quickly. With Caltric being on So. Cal., I received my part in two days. It's working great so far with a couple thousand miles on it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 12-25-2011, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I do note that the listing is for 1977-1988 and it is an 18 pole stator. Is there not an issue with using the earlier 12 pole style rotor with the later 18 pole stator for some models?

I'm still trying to fill in the picture so may be off track so would be grateful if someone would clarify.

In addition, cannot find and specifics regarding fitting of specific Kawasaki stators although there are general references to this. Anyone?

Originally posted by gmoore View Post
      I found this in the bay and it seems like a decent deal, anyone running one or have any input?

GS750C 1977-79. GS750B 1977-79. GS550E 1977-79. GS550L 1979. THESE MODELS USE 2 KINDS OF STATOR. GS425E 1979. GS425L 1979. For Suzuki Models.

thanks!

Comment

Hi,

When the kick starter went away in later models, Suzuki started using an 18 pole stator for a little more output. The 18 pole stators are not compatible with the earlier rotors used with the 12 pole parts. However, if you install a newer rotor with the 18 pole stator, the system will charge normally.

I must admit that I'm a little fuzzy on exactly how many magnets are used in the rotors of the 12 pole and 18 pole systems. Four and six, respectively?

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
          I do note that the listing is for 1977-1988 and it is an 18 pole stator. Is there not an issue with using the earlier 12 pole style rotor with the later 18 pole stator for some models?
          Some of the early GS bikes have 12 pole stators/rotors, and if a later 18 pole stator is installed the bike won't charge. I don't know if this same situation would occur with a Gold Wing though, although I suspect it would.

EDIT: Cliff posted while I was typing.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So I take this wouldn't fit on my '79? It is definitely not a 12 pole. Unless that is just a stock image?

Comment

I replaced mine on my 1980gs750e witha stator I purchased from RM Stator in Quebec and have put on 2000kms so far no issues. I ordered it online on a Saturday and it was in my mailbox Tuesday. The stator was 99.00 and 20.00 for shipping.
              No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

I must admit that I'm a little fuzzy on exactly how many magnets are used in the rotors of the 12 pole and 18 pole systems. Four and six, respectively?

BassCliff
                Yep, four pairs (N/S) of magnet poles for 12 pole stator; six pairs for 18 pole stator. Personally, I think they went to 18 poles when someone figured out how to make a machine to wind them reliably.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm still trying to fill in the picture so may be off track so would be grateful if someone would clarify.

In addition, cannot find and specifics regarding fitting of specific Kawasaki stators although there are general references to this. Anyone?
                  Some of the suppliers just show a generic photo- they would likely know which model needs 12 vs 18 poles.
                  After about 1980 many Kawasakis also converted to 18 pole stators- lots of these will fit suzukis, but the wires tend to be shortenned.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the info. If anyone discovers which 1980+'s Kawasaki models have a compatible stator it would likely be useful to others also.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the info. If anyone discovers which 1980+'s Kawasaki models have a compatible stator it would likely be useful to others also.
                      I have a copy of Electrosport's stator compatibility list on my little website. A surprising number of Suzuki and Kawasaki motorcycles all use the exact same part.

BassCliff

Comment

They are great quality and bang-for-your-buck.
                        Especially if you're restoring the charging system on a Budget.

The only thing I noticed, was that the windings aren't coated, and they also appear to be a thinner gauge.

Comment

I have a couple of spares around here.
                          One is a new electrosport (sp?) or something like that.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                          X