Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removed the tail light and blinkers now not starting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removed the tail light and blinkers now not starting!

Yo-
    1982 gs1100gk

While removing the carb I completely removed the tail section, which means unplugging the tail/break light and blinkers. The wire are not just hanging there. Could thsi be why my bike isn't starting? I know little about electricity and wasn't sure if someone the circuit was interrupted when I unplugged the lights.

Originally posted by samp615 View Post
    Yo-
    1982 gs1100gk

While removing the carb I completely removed the tail section, which means unplugging the tail/break light and blinkers. The wire are not just hanging there. Could thsi be why my bike isn't starting? I know little about electricity and wasn't sure if someone the circuit was interrupted when I unplugged the lights.
    Not starting means no noises, no cranking???? Do idiot lights come on when you turn key to "on" spot? If so, maybe you unplugged trigger wire to solenoid (for starter) which is in area that you are messing with.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      maybe you unplugged trigger wire to solenoid (for starter) which is in area that you are messing with.
      or maybe a relay mod for the coils...........
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

All lights come on. head light, front blinker, indiot lights. Starter motor cranks.

Comment

On most GS bikes, the ignition switch controls the circuit between red battery wire and the orange wire to the turn signal flasher and rear lights. If you took off too much of this circuit, you may have disabled your ignition circuit. Check for power to the coils (or for spark at the plugs). if you don't have power there, you'll have to rig something up to replace what is gone.

Comment

So lights work and it cranks; my bike has plug that feeds power to ignitor and is under seat. Maybe you have similar and unplugged/dislodged it during carb removal. It would have an orange/white wire coming from ignition coils. As Chicagobob said, check for 12 volts at coils ( from o/w terminal on coil to a good ground) and then at the ignitor plug to harness.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Surprised nobody has jumped in with Check the fuses

Comment

I would have but it seems that option is always ignored or at least discounted immediately.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
                  Surprised nobody has jumped in with Check the fuses
                  He said it cranks, which usually means ignition fuse is good; also good kill switch ,etc.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                  X