Need wiring diagram for start circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need wiring diagram for start circuit

My newley aquired gs 650 does not start with the button. PO said Neutral saftey switch was bad, but the green light comes on when in neutral, so idk.

Only way to start bike is to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver.

So Im in need of the start circuit wiring diagram so I can go thru it and find the problem. Or if any one here has any ideas, fire away!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM.

Originally posted by tkent02
    The PO is full of it, there is no neutral safety switch.

There is a clutch safety switch, are you pulling the clutch in?

The clutch switch can be easily repaired or bypassed if it isn't making contact.
    Yes, tried with the clutch in. No change. Is it as simple as taking the wire and jumping them together. I noticed a wire going into the clutch housing.

Comment

never the less, the bike should still be able to start without the clutch pulled in as long as its in neutral....correct?

Its obvious what ever the problem is, it is not killing the ignition. Otherwise, I would not even be able to jump start it.

Comment

It won't crank at all without the clutch in. .

nah, I can start it by crossing a screw driver on the starter relay.

Perhaps the clutch switch has already been bypassed

So now im back to the original question.....start circuit wiring diagram......

Comment

I see Basscliff hasn't had time to give you the official welcome so I'll at least point you here...

Everything you want to know with downloads galore.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks!8910

Comment

Originally posted by pooleo View Post
              So now im back to the original question.....start circuit wiring diagram......
              The answer has already been provided for you in the previous posts.
              The clutch switch can be easily repaired or bypassed if it isn't making contact.
              Inside the headlight, you can join the two connectors that go to the switch on the clutch. conveniently, there is one male and one female connector.
              (Apologies to Arlo Guthrie)
              Do you need 27 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one describing what each one is?

Follow the wires from your clutch switch into the headlight housing. Yes, you will have to remove the headlight to look inside. You will see the clutch switch wires there, they are yellow with a green stripe. As tkent said, one will have a male connector, the other will have a female connector. Separate the two connections, then re-connect the two connectors that are part of the main harness. It does not matter what you do with the wires that go to the clutch switch. You should now be able to use your starter button.

If you still feel that you need a wiring diagram, go to BassCliff's site and download a manual. There is a very nice wiring diagram for an 850 there that will be very similar to your 650.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

you must have missed the point. It has been said the bike will not crank if the switch is faulty. Since the bike will crank and run, that must not be the culprit.

I come here looking for help, which is what is offered is it not?

All I wanted was a diagram so I can look things over myself.

I dont want to go on a fantasy goose chase, tearing into **** before I have a diagram to look things over. How hard is this to understand?

Comment

Now with that being said, I now have the diagram and can begin to figure out what the problem is.

Comment

Pooleo, Steve and Tom gave you exactly what you were looking for without having to use the wiring diagram. Yes, having it to assist is nice but I have found over the last two years that these two guys, and many others, will provide more help than you will ever get from the book or diagrams. All you have to do is listen. They aren't telling you to tear into things, just open up and LOOK. I will guarantee that diagram says the same thing they just did.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I understand this. And if its not the problem, I come back and ask questions again. Now that I have the diagram, I can trace the entire circuit down and find the problem.

Now, the one guy said that the bike wont crank if the clutch switch is bad/not working/etc. Well, my bike will crank and run! sooooo, its obvious that this is not the problem. So when I look into it tomaro and I find the wires are already connected (because the bike runs, the wires must be making a connection, right?) then I am on a goose chase.

With the diagram, I have all the info I need.

So thanks for the help.

So just to clarify.

The bike can never be started with out the clutch pulled in, even in neutral.

Clutch pulled in makes the circuit, clutch out, no circuit and no crank.

My bike cranks and runs with out the clutch pulled in, so the circuit must be complete.

So someone must have already put the wires together!

Comment

So just to clarify.

The bike can never be started with out the clutch pulled in, even in neutral.

Clutch pulled in makes the circuit, clutch out, no circuit and no crank.

My bike cranks and runs with out the clutch pulled in, so the circuit must be complete.

So someone must have already put the wires together!
                        OK, I am completely confuzzled now. You are now saying that it cranks and runs, but in your first post, you said it doesn't.
                        My newley aquired gs 650 does not start with the button. PO said Neutral saftey switch was bad, but the green light comes on when in neutral, so idk.

Only way to start bike is to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver.
                        By using a screwdriver on the solenoid, you are bypassing EVERYTHING in the starter circuit. By following the instructions in a previous post, you will only be bypassing the "safety" switch that requires you to pull the clutch lever. The presence (or absence) of that switch has NOTHING to do with your ability to damage a screwdriver on the solenoid.

By the way, you can "crank it" with a screwdriver without even using a key, so you are only proving that you have a decent battery and the starter works. NOTE: if you also use a jumper wire from the MAIN fuse to any of the others, then use your screwdriver on the solenoid, the bike will start, run and be totally functional, even with NO KEY in the ignition.

There is a bit more circuitry involved and we have guided you to it. Enjoy your diagram browsing.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I love this thread, kinda reminds me of this.
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I put the wires together, nothing has changed. So whats next, wizard.

Thanks, but no thanks. I have the diagram, which is what I asked for. I will find the problem.

Comment

I would follow the wires from your starter button to where they connect and make sure you have continuity when you press the button.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X