No announcement yet.

LED turn signal, strange issue...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you mis-understood part of what I said.

When I said that it was "56 watts for the pair", I meant that it was 56 watts for the pair of lights that would turn on when you activated your turn signals. One 28 watt light at the front, one 28 watt light at the rear. Unless you have an aftermarket 4-way flasher unit, you will not be activating all four at the same time, so it's only the 56 watts you need to worry about.

Most (but not all) of the electronic flashers are timers, so they don't really care what, if anything, is downstream. The 2-pin flashers, like the stock one, are thermal units, so they HAVE to have a certain load to operate properly. If you have one of the timer-based flashers, it will be easier (and cheaper) to use that, rather than try to incorporate some load resistors.

By the way, does your bike have a single indicator in the instrument cluster for turn signals or does it have one for each side?
    If you have one for each side, you will have no problems with your LED units. However, if you have a single light, you will have to do some re-wiring. The stock single-bulb dash indicator uses the filaments on the lights on the other side as a ground wire. That is, when you turn on the LEFT signals, one lead of the dash indicator is connected to the left signals. The other lead is connected to the right signals. Since they are not on, current goes through the indicator bulb, then through the right signal filaments and on to ground. Since the dash light won't pass much current, the signals on the right do not light. When you turn on the RIGHT signals, the left filaments provide the ground. When you switch to LEDs, you might or might not have enough to energize the dash indicator, and it just might pass enough to light up the LEDs on the other side.

If you do have a single bulb, I can provide a diagram to show how to isolate the dash bulb.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just a thought.....why don't you go back to incandescents and make sure everything is working? You've got several things going on at once, with the mystery or left-over wiring, trying to change to LED's, etc.

Go back to square one and take it slower. Change one thing at a time, confirming correct operation at each step. You could even bench-test the LED clusters with a couple wires from a battery to make sure they work BEFORE installation on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
        Go back to square one and take it slower. Change one thing at a time, confirming correct operation at each step. You could even bench-test the LED clusters with a couple wires from a battery to make sure they work BEFORE installation on the bike.

X2

Can't hurt to make sure that the base circuits haven't been damaged.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll check the LEDs again -but I did start there a week or two ago making sure the LEDs all worked prior to install.

I may revert to incandescents to be sure the circuit works - but it sure looks like it does... but maybe I should also take voltage measurements too to see if there are any weird drops anywhere causing such an issue (like a partial or intermittent short due to bad soldering or chafing...

To answer your other question, my cluster has two separate left and right signals. I figured if it was a single I'd have to pick up some diodes. Maybe I need a bypass cap on the relay because its getting AC off my rectifier? Hmm..

And thanks for the tweak Steve. I mean (DUH! [at me]) - only one side will light at any given time. Sigh. Brain fart !

Maybe if anyone has a suggestion on a good timer based relay for LED type circuits..? Source of supply and price?

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
          X