X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please look at my wiring, just want to double check

1977 GS 750
    Odo says almost 30000 miles
    I have a pretty basic FSM for this bike.

This is my first bike outside of a sportbike and its torn APART! (by me of course) The wiring looked a little shoddy, and there was a piece of speaker wire jumping two other wires to the ground on the battery, so I decided to dive in and check out the wiring situation. I attached some pictures of a simplistic drawing I made of the area concerned, which is the starter relay / rectifier area.

Picture one is a simplified version of the wiring diagram in the FSM. Please PLEASE feel free to double check me. The dotted circle around part of it just indicates that the FSM shows a Y/G wire between all that "red" stuff.
    Things to notice: location of the fuse, location of the relay ground.

Picture two is how MY wiring is. There is no Y/G wire between the fuse and the (+) battery cable, its all red. The relay ground, along with a B/W wire from the main harness was hooked to speaker wire and grounded to the (-) battery terminal. Notice the fuse is on the opposite side of the ignition wire. Note: the splice of the rectifier red wire into the main harness red wire was UNDER THE FACTORY WRAP JOB. This appeared completely stock! I had to cut through the old tape to get to it but I wanted to trace it to where it went since it didnt match the manual. Now, aside from the fuse location, it is wired correctly.

Questions:
    1. Does the fuse location matter here?
    2. The B/W wire that was hooked to ground: I have 2 of them in the main section of harness. One goes to the left handlebar light switches, one goes to the instrument cluster. The one that was attached to the (-) battery terminal was from the left handlebar switches. There are TWO B/W wires, but only one is shown in the manual. They never splice into each other by the looks of it. WTF? Is it supposed to go to ground there? I dont see another location where that wire is grounded, and I dont see ANY location where the other B/W wire is grounded...they do not seem to be attached to each other. Help with this?
    3. Should I also ground the starter relay to the (-) terminal instead of the frame?
    4. I cant find in my manual the proper fuse for the red wire. It has a "30" on the one I have, is that right?

Im sure Ill think of more soon....

Thanks in advance!!

Pic 2, sorry. (only 1 allowed)

Comment

Get a photobucket account and check out Basscliff's website on how to post full size pictures.
      It'll help us help you!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Oh, you can post more than one at at time, you just need to know how to do it.

Except for the questionable choice of wire, the diagram looks OK. The connection on the red wire between the fuse box and the ignition switch is where the R/R usually connects, and it can easily go bad. What you have appears to be an attempt to bypass that wire. The fuse is also a good idea.

Now let's get straight to the questions:
        1. Does the fuse location matter here?
        As long as it's between the R/R and the battery, you are good.

2. The B/W wire that was hooked to ground: I have 2 of them in the main section of harness. One goes to the left handlebar light switches, one goes to the instrument cluster. The one that was attached to the (-) battery terminal was from the left handlebar switches. There are TWO B/W wires, but only one is shown in the manual. They never splice into each other by the looks of it. WTF? Is it supposed to go to ground there? I dont see another location where that wire is grounded, and I dont see ANY location where the other B/W wire is grounded...they do not seem to be attached to each other. Help with this?
        As you may have guessed, B/W wires are grounds on the bike. It is possible that a previous owner has relocated one from a frame point to the battery. Others may challenge this, but, as long as you have a GOOD ground wire from the battery to the chassis, it shouldn't matter where it attaches.

3. Should I also ground the starter relay to the (-) terminal instead of the frame?
        See my last statement above.

4. I cant find in my manual the proper fuse for the red wire. It has a "30" on the one I have, is that right?
        The stock MAIN fuse is 20A, but you are changing the location of the fuse, so it does require a larger fuse. 30A is fine.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have a photobucket account but I was too lazy to do it. I'm tired and just wanted to attach the pics. Haha. No good excuses.

Steve, thanks for the help. I guess I'll just leave it as is but clean it up a bit as long as no bad will come of it. It ran in this configuration but that doesn't necessarily mean its safe. But from what you are saying it seems to be ok.

I may try to rearrange the fuse to the correct location. But again, like I said, this seemed stock. The wiring bundle was wrapped in the OLD electrical tape. I'll check the rectifier. If it works, I'm just going to leave it be.

Any idea where the other B/W wire grounds? The manual only shows one wire and therefore only one ground and I can find it?.....

Anyway, thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X