Short circuit in Katana instrument panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short circuit in Katana instrument panel

Two days ago I was gently warming up my 1150 Kat when all of sudden the Rev counter and all the lights on the instrument panel went dead.
    The engine was still running with no problem.
    The instrument fuse had blown and I traced the short circuit to the instrument panel itself.
    Expecting the worse I took the cover off and pulled the panel from it's mount.
    The source of the problem was obvious: the wires that feed the neutral lamp had been squeezed against the metal mount exposing the live (orange) wire.
    In fact most of the wires were close to beeing shorted to ground as you can see on the picture.
    Today it would most probably leed to a recall...
    I believe it's worthwhile checking the state of these wires on your own Kat to avoid this

sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Someone must have changed the bulbs at some time and did not line the slots up in the rubber holders towards the connecter plug and that helped towards the chafing.
    Thanks for the heads up, I am sure it may help some.

Comment

John,
      Thanks for the heads up, and the visuals. Is that 21,000 kms or 121,000? Either way, your speedo looks very very nice.

Love your Honda in your other post!
      Scott
      1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
      1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
      1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
      2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
        John,
        Thanks for the heads up, and the visuals. Is that 21,000 kms or 121,000? Either way, your speedo looks very very nice.

Love your Honda in your other post!
        Scott, I have no idea of the real mileage...
        When I bought the bike it came with an 1150 engine in it so I suppose it doesn't really matter anymore.
        At least it works
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
          Someone must have changed the bulbs at some time and did not line the slots up in the rubber holders towards the connecter plug and that helped towards the chafing.
          For sure, but with the vibrations the wires can move out of the slots.
          Suzuki should have placed some insulation behind these connectors as a better engineering practice...
          sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
          X