Ingnition Switch Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ingnition Switch Swap?

My GS850 has four wires coming from the igition switch. Red, Orange (these run to the fuse bos), one to the tail lamp, and one to the license plate light, I believe. The bike had been modified by the PO and didn't have the original switch, just an ugly piece of junk. I'm not using the factory set up either. The ignition switch I bought has three screws for wires to attach to. Can this be used instead of a four wire unit? If so, what two wires should I combine?

Thanks!

Not sure which ones to hook up with that type of switch, but get on Basscliff and down load a wiring diagram or manual on his site, might help. terrylee

Comment

yes you can use that switch

red is constant hot(+) straight from battery and main fuse. Orange is switched on/off hot(+) so that is the main on-off connection

you have to figure the switch matrix, use a meter or test light to figure how the switch operates first on-off

I think the inline 2 screws are the main on-off and the offside 3rd one is a acc hook up - (different switches different details so this may be wrong)

basicly you want ;

red wire all by itself on 1 connection (insulate this, it will spark on the engine and frame)

orange and the license plate light on the 2nd connection

park (taillight) to the 3rd connection so you can light the taillight and remove the key.

if the taillight / brake light don't work when it is ON remove it from the 3rd connection and hook it to the 2nd connection with the orange one and forget the acc connection you only really need a 2 connection main switch to energize the whole bike.

mount the switch and don't let it spark or you'll go thru some fuses
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Thanks for your response! I appreciate it.

Comment

One side of the switch operates the ign circuit the other two wires operate the parking circuit that turns the tail light on

Comment

As previously mentioned, the RED wire is constant hot from the battery.

The ORANGE wire is your switched wire that will power the rest of the bike.

You can connect the remaining BROWN and GRAY wires together.
            The gray wire comes from the lighting circuit and is on when the key is ON.
            When the key is in the ON position, the gray wire powers the tail light.
            When the key is in the PARK position, the red wire powers the tail light, but will run the battery down, since the engine is not running.

By connecting the gray and brown wires, your tail light will work when it is supposed to, but you will lose the tail light in the PARK position, but that's OK, your new switch likely does not have it, anyway.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you! I just ordered a new battery and once received I'll test it out.

Comment

Working...
              X