couple of questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple of questions?

I bought an '81 GS550T a couple of weeks ago...

I've been reading thru this site and Cliff's site and I've had a great time learning about this bike. I just have some questions (maybe dumb) that I want to clear up..I'm always short on cash so I want to make sure my money spent goes to parts that I actually need

my first problem I have is I have no spark.....on none of the plugs

the old battery in the bike will only charge to 12.4 volts ....i plan on buying a new battery soon but...
    question 1: could this be why I have no spark?

I know I do need a starter solenoid (and have one ordered)...I have been jumping across the solenoid with a screw driver to get the starter to turn...but
    question 2: could I get spark after changing the solenoid?

I bought a multi meter and tested the coils...and sometimes I can get readings and sometimes I don't....I have trouble using this thing and do better with my test light...

I know I do get power at the orange and orange and white wires going into the coils....I thought maybe it was the coils...but have a hard time believing both would go out.

I did the coil relay mod hoping that would be a cheap fix...nope...

I'm thinking maybe it's the igniter but I cant find it....it's a little black box right?...or is it the stuff under the right side engine cover....I 'm confused?..lol...

I appreciate any help ....after i install the solenoid...I'm going to get a battery....I have a feeling I still won't have a spark....so I'm just jumping ahead...trying to find out what my next step should be...

Thanks,
    Mike

A bad igniter could be a problem resulting in a no spark symptom - as I believe it has something to do with the timing of the spark obviously. A solenoid just takes a low voltage signal from the switch to control the higher voltage from the battery to turn the starter so I don't think that should be your focus. Make sure simple things like other safety switches aren't to blame - kick stand / clutch. Good luck I'm sure more knowledgable folks will be in to correct me or chime in.

Comment

Make sure you have a good battery first before doing much else.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

OK, I'm just going to toss in my two cents where I think it's appropriate.

I bought an '81 GS550T a couple of weeks ago...

I've been reading thru this site and Cliff's site and I've had a great time learning about this bike. I just have some questions (maybe dumb) that I want to clear up..I'm always short on cash so I want to make sure my money spent goes to parts that I actually need
        So far, you are doing all the right stuff.

my first problem I have is I have no spark.....on none of the plugs

the old battery in the bike will only charge to 12.4 volts ....i plan on buying a new battery soon but...
        question 1: could this be why I have no spark?
        OK, it will "charge" to 12.4, but what does it read while you are cranking the engine?

I know I do need a starter solenoid (and have one ordered)...
        OK, here is a mistake. Should have gotten a lawn tractor solenoid from Lowe's.

I have been jumping across the solenoid with a screw driver to get the starter to turn...
        Are you doing this because the button doesn't work?
        Have you tried pulling the clutch lever while cranking?
        There is an interlock that requires you to pull the clutch while using the electric starter.
        Might not have had to waste money on a solenoid.

but question 2: could I get spark after changing the solenoid?
        A new solenoid will not do anything to enhance the spark capabilities.

I bought a multi meter and tested the coils...and sometimes I can get readings and sometimes I don't....I have trouble using this thing and do better with my test light...
        A test light (one of my favorite tools, by the way) will tell you that you have power at the coils, but it won't tell you how much, which is also necessary to know.
        You do need to use the meter to test the resistance of the coils and wires, the light just will not do that.

I know I do get power at the orange and orange and white wires going into the coils....I thought maybe it was the coils...but have a hard time believing both would go out.

I did the coil relay mod hoping that would be a cheap fix...nope...
        The coil relay mod is only "necessary" if you have low voltage at the coils, and should be determined while the engine is running.
        Evidently you haven't gotten to that stage, so it might have been wasted effort.

I'm thinking maybe it's the igniter but I cant find it....it's a little black box right?...or is it the stuff under the right side engine cover....I 'm confused?..lol...
        Yes, it's going to be a black box, maybe about three inches square. It is NOT under the engine cover, it's likely mounted to the battery box. Follow the bundle of wires that goes from the ignition cover (the right side engine cover) and it will take you straight to the ignitor.

I appreciate any help ....after i install the solenoid...I'm going to get a battery....I have a feeling I still won't have a spark....so I'm just jumping ahead...trying to find out what my next step should be...
        If you have another vehicle handy, like a car or truck, use jumper cables to the bike, but DO NOT have the car's engine running while doing this. If the bike won't start with that, you still have problems. If it DOES start, it's likely just a bad battery.

Thanks,
        Mike
        You're welcome

Originally posted by DCrippa View Post
        A solenoid just takes a low voltage signal from the switch to control the higher voltage from the battery to turn the starter ...
        Please, please, PLEASE don't believe this.

True, you can use a low-voltage relay to control a higher voltage, but the bike is ALL THE SAME VOLTAGE, a nominal 12 volts.

What you really meant to say (I'm sure), was "A solenoid just takes a low current from the switch to control the higher current from the battery to turn the starter."

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Mikef85..... Have you pulled signal generator cover off to investigate PO's efforts? no missing stuff? With ignition and kill switch on, you should have 12 volts to orange/white wires going to coils -put a multimeter on it to be sure. During cranking, this should not drop much IF you did the coil relay right and your battery is decent.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Once you find the ignitor make sure to clean all connections between it and signal generator, better yet replace them. Had a similiar problem on 450 once and turned out connections were shorting out. Replaced them and no problems since. terrylee

Comment

The ignitor on my 550T is mounted under the airbox.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'll look for the ignitor again tonight (thank you!!...I'll look under the air box) and check all the connections....

I do have 12 volts at the coils....but not sure what is is when i crank it...I guees i need to put some clips on my multimeter, because I'm running out of hands....but I'll check that out too

the solenoid was getting power to the small wire when the start button was pressed ...but not clicking....

I ordered this one:

from ebay for $20...It looked like the right part

I'lll try and use the battery from my van to see if that works also.

Thanks for all the ideas
                I'll try and get some pics of the bike posted this evening

Comment

Originally posted by mikef85 View Post
                  I'll look for the ignitor again tonight (thank you!!...I'll look under the air box) and check all the connections....

I do have 12 volts at the coils....but not sure what is is when i crank it...I guees i need to put some clips on my multimeter, because I'm running out of hands....but I'll check that out too

the solenoid was getting power to the small wire when the start button was pressed ...but not clicking.
                  The solenoid case needs to be grounded to frame to "click" - trying adding a jumper wire from it to good ground.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

tom...that may be something....because the solenoid is missing one mounting bolt....

I'll try that also!
                    Thanks!

Comment

Have you checked the connections to the solenoid? They sometimes look good but have poor contacting and also break internally but give an outwards appearance of being good.

Comment

Please, please, PLEASE don't believe this.

True, you can use a low-voltage relay to control a higher voltage, but the bike is ALL THE SAME VOLTAGE, a nominal 12 volts.

What you really meant to say (I'm sure), was "A solenoid just takes a low current from the switch to control the higher current from the battery to turn the starter."

Sorry about that... I meant amperage / not voltage you are correct, thank you for setting it straight. Gonna go review ohms law lol

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas...I hav'nt been able to look at the bike....I have a family member in the hospital...so my my progress has slowed down...I'll be sure to post my findings soon...

Comment

Sorry to hear hope they get better soon.

Comment

Okay, I had some time today, thanks to the time change, and I learned some things...

I got the new starter solenoid and put it on, hit the button and still nothing happened... Soooo, I noticed that when I put my test light to the small wire on the solenoid that the light was dim & when I hit the button the light got brighter so I unbolted the solenoid from the frame, ran a wire from the solenoid to the negative on the battery and the starter turned when I hit the button. So if the solenoid is not bolted to the frame and has a direct wire to the negative on the battery it turns the starter when i hit the button. So thats cool except I can't mount it. It's just hanging there.

Anyways, I checked again and I'm still not getting a spark. I did find the igniter... it's mounted under the air box & is very oily, so I'm thinking that may be where the spark problem may be. If that's my next step, what's the easiest way to get the igniter out of there to clean it up? It seems very hard to get to.I guess some things are going to have to come off

I would appreciate any ideas anyone may have!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X