Relays...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relays...

Hello everyone. I'm trying to get some info on why to install relays for my coil, horn lights etc. Thank you

Originally posted by Defore View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm trying to get some info on why to install relays for my coil, horn lights etc. Thank you
    Head to Basscliff's, look for "electrical odds and ends", find "system relay mod.." courtesy of Koolaid Kid- one stop for explanation and method.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

"Why" is because 30 odd year old wiring may not carry 12 volts to critical locations. Direct wiring through relays ensures the power get there.
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Easy but not detailed answer:
        Over time, our electrical systems experience voltage drop due to many factors, including but not limited to corrosion at bullet connectors. For what ever reason, Suzuki seems to have this problem more than other Japanese manufacturers. At least Kawasaki, which I have personal experience with, has no such issues.
        The voltage output of a good charging system is around 14.4 volts, but at the end users (coils, horns, lights, etc.) it may be several volts lower, which leads to many issues. Relays, if CORRECTLY implemented, can eliminate this issue. Many implementations have been posted, some are good, many are questionable (IMHO).

Comment

I will recommend that before you start throwing relays on the bike, do the free and simple things first - clean connectors, inspect wiring for anything that shouldn't be, etc.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
            "Why" is because 30 odd year old wiring may not carry 12 volts to critical locations. Direct wiring through relays ensures the power get there.
            Yes, power is the overall concern. Power = Volts times Current. The power demand and requirement is a constant. If voltage drops, current rises. Heat then becomes an issue, things overheat, issues occur, friends have to take you and your bike home.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              I will recommend that before you start throwing relays on the bike, do the free and simple things first - clean connectors, inspect wiring for anything that shouldn't be, etc.
              Absolutely. Never start modding any system that is not up to its full potential at the start. Electrical, mechanical, etc. For our bikes, replacing key bullet connectors with spade connectors is highly recommended and pretty much a requirement for a good performing system.

Comment

OK thank you. Bit yes I have respiced all my connections but still draining from my lights when blinkers are on so I figured it wouldn't hurt to relay my system since I've done everything else.

Comment

Is 30 amp fine for each?

Comment

Or should I do 40

Comment

When you say it's draining from your lights when the blinkers are on tells my non-existent experience that you still have problems with connectors or wiring. Really clean, not just resplice, your connectors using deoxit and something scrubby (as best you can). Make sure you don't have any wiring that's uncovered for a reason and maybe touching other wires or the frame. You'd be surprised what you'll find if you tear off the harness, strip the entire thing of its tape, and really go to town to clean it up.

All going up in fuse amperage will mean is it will take more to blow the fuse. This ultimately means you'll burn something up long before the fuse blows to tell you there is a problem.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Defore View Post
                        Or should I do 40
                        Yes. And no. The correct Bosch-style relays have 2 ratings, ON and OFF. This relates to terminal 87 and 87A. A relay rated at 30A Off (87A) is rated lower On (87) which is what you need for pretty much everything.
                        Short answer, for our charging systems the 30A relay will do just dandy. Be sure and get an extra or two in case of failure.

Comment

Yes I've cut open the wiring harness cleaned with degreaser dried heat shrinked then retaped so I should have the best connection ima get. And I'm talking about when its not running it'll drain from the lights. I've been building it for months and after Monday it'll have new shim then it'll run so I'm working out all the kinks now.

Comment

It will work. It is also overpriced. Buy 2 30A relays for the same price and you will have a backup (As any mechanical/electrical component, they can fail). They are called Bosch style relays and have either 4 or 5 terminals. It is an industry standard. 5 terminals is the most common configuration, but either will be fine for your needs.

Comment

Working...
                            X