Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thanks a lot.

Comment

Power = Volts times Current relationship is used out if context in this instance. Power demand is not a constant. If resistance increases then Ohm's Law: Amps. = Volts/Resistance applies so an increase in resistance results in a reduction of current/Amps. which must also mean a reduction in power/Watts. The heating is a result of the available voltage driving current through the resistance of the poor connection which is the basis of the heating.

Rest assured that in a DC resistance circuit, current will not rise as the result of a decrease in current flow due to increased resistance. While this may result in dynamic circuits such as that containing a DC motor, the effect is not in the same context.

In fact, the most effective way to determine whether there is a concern regarding resistance in a circuit is to do a voltage drop measurement with normal current flow. This should be done before pulling connections for cleaning and other operations because a higher than normal voltage drop will definitely indicate a circuit problem which could be due to a poor connection.

HIH

Norm

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      Yes, power is the overall concern. Power = Volts times Current. The power demand and requirement is a constant. If voltage drops, current rises. Heat then becomes an issue, things overheat, issues occur, friends have to take you and your bike home.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2012, 01:06 AM.

Comment

What do you mean by "still draining from my lights when blinkers are on"?

Do you mean that other lights dim when bliinkers are operating?

If this is the case, is this only at idle or with engine rev'd up?

What effect if you switch headlight off?

Is the effect greater when brake light is also on?

Have you a voltmeter to take voltage drop measurements?

HIH

Norm

Originally posted by Defore View Post
        OK thank you. Bit yes I have respiced all my connections but still draining from my lights when blinkers are on so I figured it wouldn't hurt to relay my system since I've done everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
          The heating is a result of the available voltage driving current through the resistance of the poor connection which is the basis of the heating.
          I don't think this is quite right. The heat dissipated by a resistance in a constant-voltage circuit (our bikes) is the square of the voltage divided by the resistance, so the increased resistance in a corroded connector will decrease the heat dissipated in that connector.

So, if you have problems with wires or connectors overheating, it means that the resistance is too _low_, and you probably have a short.

Comment

Working...
          X