Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 gs850g Spark plugs are sparking but not when I hod ignition??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs850g Spark plugs are sparking but not when I hod ignition??

Hello all,

Problem #1: Having a little spark issue. When I press the ignition button I do not get any spark (whether I hold it for 1 second or 5), but when I release the button I get some spark. Is that right??...I checked the wiring harnesses around the battery, and under the tank. The battery is a year old, and had it on the trickle charger all winter.

Problem # 2: Carbs were just cleaned out, gas is getting to the bowls, and everything seems in order but the bike will not fire in the slightest....even with the spark when I release the ignition button.

Thanks for the ideas/posts in advance.

Scott

On problem #1 - you might want to check the voltage at your coils. It's not uncommon to have losses in the wiring up to the ignition, and many of us opt to do the "coil relay mod" to help resolve this. Apparently the ignition switch itself is often a culprit, as the kill switch may also be. If the loss is more than about 1V, it's time to investigate. The additional draw of the starter may be dropping the voltage enough to prevent the igniter from doing its job. Also check to see what your battery cranking voltage is.

I'd say fix the ignition issues first then see how it starts.

Comment

"Trickle charger all winter" ? as in connected all winter, or just occasionaly? how big a charger? Was battery still connected to bike all this time ? Anyways, does it crank over nicely when you press starter button? As mike_of_bbg said, fix ignition first (get good spark) and then worry about carbs.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had it on a 1.5amp trickle charge all winter...never came off...battery is fully charged...I do have good crank when I press the ignition. I checked the wiring from the batter to the ignition and seem to have good connection, when i turn the battery on I get about .01-.02...what amps should I be getting she i turn the key. I get about .9 to the right side coils when the key is turned on and 1.5 ish when cranked.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2012, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X