i caught on fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i caught on fire

ok guys i just bought a 82 suzuki gs1100gk form a guy for 900 bucks. its in relativily good condition. i had yet to ride the bike but i decided to take it out today just to see how it would go. i got about 4 miles our of town and smelt soemthing meltling. i hurried up and turned around and went home got off bike and there was a fire under the battery. i tore the bike aprt and i belive i found that the voltage regulater had melted and burnt. there are soem bare wires around it and it looks like it may have been the wrong one becuase it didnt line up with the orignal holes and the plugged end was held together with a zip tie so i assuming they used one off another bike. my main ? is could this have cause the recitifier to melt or burn up by being the worng one for bike or the bare wires could have touched. my next ? is where can i get a new one that will fit my bike. there is alot on ebay not sure which one would work .

Most bikes have very similar charging systems. There is a strong following of honda R/R's here and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to sound off on that upgrade.

Here's one of my favorite charging system references from another site:

Before any of that though you'll want to make sure the other wiring is OK. Then check the stator both with the bike off and with it running on bat power. Some reading:

Comment

Originally posted by hmeric7 View Post
      ok guys i just bought a 82 suzuki gs1100gk form a guy for 900 bucks.
      Check the list of newbie mistakes and go from there

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

It was cheap for a reason, could be all hacked up
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

no the bike is in good overall shap. no hacked up wires or antyhing. i do have mechanical knowledge but just thought id get some in put. anyways thanks for ure insight?

Comment

Originally posted by hmeric7 View Post
          no the bike is in good overall shap. no hacked up wires or antyhing. i do have mechanical knowledge but just thought id get some in put. anyways thanks for ure insight?
          I wouldn't have thought catching fire on the first ride to be a sign of good overall shape.
          Do the maintenance.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I wouldn't have thought catching fire on the first ride to be a sign of good overall shape.
            Do the maintenance.
            Yes, or maybe this bike is just begging for attention.
            Mr. hmeric7;..... find stator wires, find R/R and disconnect both. Charge battery, go for short ride and make sure you have decent transmission - best to find out BEFORE you get to those newbie mistakes. Lights off, you got at least half hour- don't go far!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Was the seller a Chevy Volt mechanic?

For some reason the Japanese bike manufacturers made charging systems with flimsy connectors between the alternator and the R/R. These connectors have been notorious problems on Suzukis and Hondas especially for decades. Yet they never improved the design of the system.

The connector in your system became corroded and built up enough resistance to overheat and cause a fire. In most bikes, they just cause the charging system to fail completely and the battery dies (while riding in a remote location) before anything ignites.

You need to fully test your charging system and will probably end up replacing the stator and R/R. Search the forum (especially BikeCliff's welcome page) and you'll find the right answers.

Comment

If you haven't been the recipient of the welcome page, here it is,with more info than you can digest in a day: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                And yes, you have major electrical issues at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
                  Was the seller a Chevy Volt mechanic?

For some reason the Japanese bike manufacturers made charging systems with flimsy connectors between the alternator and the R/R. These connectors have been notorious problems on Suzukis and Hondas especially for decades. Yet they never improved the design of the system.

The connector in your system became corroded and built up enough resistance to overheat and cause a fire. In most bikes, they just cause the charging system to fail completely and the battery dies (while riding in a remote location) before anything ignites.

You need to fully test your charging system and will probably end up replacing the stator and R/R. Search the forum (especially BikeCliff's welcome page) and you'll find the right answers.
                  In this case I think a fireman's input is invaluable.

Comment

Working...
                  X