Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Ignition

Just wonderin if anyone has fitted electronic ignition in place of the old points (mine is a '79 GS750) and if there is anything to be gained - such as better starting??. (I am having real starting problems and I don't think its the fuel, just wondering whether to ditch the points!)
    And, where to buy it from in the UK??
    Thanks.
    Dom.

Not sure what you have available over there, but many have fitted the Dyna system.
    Another option that is not often heard about is Boyer-Brandson.

Hard starting is also caused by lack of proper valve adjustment, so check that, too.
    The valves tighten up in normal use, which prevents proper compression.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd say your best bet for an electronic ignition would by Boyer Bransden as Steve mentions since they are an English company. I haven't used their products but I have corresponded with them and they were quite helpful and informative. I'm sure they can sort you out.

As far as hard starting you should definitely heed Steve's advice and check the valve clearances first. In addition, hard starting can be made worse by less than optimum spark from the coils. This is sometimes as a result of a weaker battery ( so check your battery resting voltage and state of charging, using the Stator Papers flow chart for guidance) and or resistance in the lines feeding the coils. On these old bikes the connectors tend to get corroded and this causes resistance in the flow. Sometimes 12 volts from the battery is only 11 or slightly less at the coils. Check and clean your connectors and contacts to the coils too. If you haven't done it already, it is a very good idea to check and clean all you connections and grounds on the bike. Nasty electronics have a way of ruining the running of the bike and spoiling your enjoyment as many of us have found out.

Also, you may find the plug caps on the wires have become resistant too which can result in a weaker spark. These may need to be changed as well.

Good luck with it and let us know what you decide to do.

Cheers,
      Spyug
      Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
        Sometimes 12 volts from the battery is only 11 or slightly less at the coils.
        And, while using the electric starter (yeah, I know you have a kicker, too ), it will go much less than that.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Advantage?

Never having to file, adjust or time points ever again

I've had a Dyna S for 25+ years on my 78

Hard starting can be points or valve clearance - when did you last check your valves?

Also, did you properly store your bike for winter? Gummed up carbs ,maybe?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Points are fine, you just have to adjust them once in a while, replace them a few times over the life of the bike. Easy stuff.
            Electronic is easier. Both make the bike go just fine.. When the points wear out, might as well replace with the electronic as points for bikes are incredibly overpriced.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've found a Boyer Bransden that fits my bike so I'll go and buy it in the next few days. I'll check valves as well as suggested, thanks. All electrics and connections should be fine as it was recently re-wired and new coils and HT leads and caps fitted.
              Thanks again
              Dom

Comment

The Boyer Brandsen stuff is pretty popular with the XS650 crowd.

Comment

Working...
                X