Crank magnet identification 12 vs 18 pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank magnet identification 12 vs 18 pole

What are the ways to identify the differences between the 18 and 12 pole stator crank magnets. I have a 78 550 bottom end that I just ordered an OEM 12 pole stator for to find out there was an 18pole stator on the bike. I'm curious to see if the magnet was changed to make this work.
    1978 GS550 E
    673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
    New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
    for playing in the dirt

Originally posted by boontonmike View Post
    What are the ways to identify the differences between the 18 and 12 pole stator crank magnets. I have a 78 550 bottom end that I just ordered an OEM 12 pole stator for to find out there was an 18pole stator on the bike. I'm curious to see if the magnet was changed to make this work.
    While the stators are considered 18 or 12 poles - the matching rotors would have 6 pairs of N /S magnets for the 18 pole stator or 4 pairs of N/S magnets for the 12 pole stator- this is due to the 3 phase windings.
    To find out what you got, get a small round magnet (like off your refrigerator), one side is N and the other is S- the N side will be attracted to the S pole in your rotor, while the N side will be repulsed by the N pole in rotor. Move your little magnet around inside the rotor and you will quickly figure out how many magnet pairs you got.
    Some folks changed out the 12 pole for the 18 pole rotor- it likely gives higher output at same RPM.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You should be able to look on the inside of the magnet surface and see lines between the magnets. I think the 18-pole systems have three separate magnets, so you will see three joints around the circumference. The 12-pole systems will have two magnets, therefore only two joints.

You can also take a small screwdriver around the inside of the magnet and count how many times it is attracted to it as you go around the circle. The driver will be pulled to one area, then, as you pull it around the circle, will jump to the next area, and so forth, all the way around. WARNING, you will have a VERY magnetized screwdriver when you are done.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They are NOT interchangeable

Comment

Working...
        X