GS450 Flasher Relay Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Flasher Relay Question

So my blinkers work, but they only stay solid, so I am assuming I need a new flasher relay. I looked up OEM ones and ones off of eBay and they are $30+ which I think is completely ridiculous!

I went to Autozone and found some 2-prong flashers made for trailers and such, you think something like that would work as long as the numbers matched. What do y'all think? Any aftermarket solutions you know of?

This is exactly what I need:

I would think as long as the wattage rating is the same or higher that any two prong one would work.

However, just as an FYI, I've found two instances where my indicators would come on and stay on without flashing...

First was my stator was knackered and the R/R wasn't putting out enough juice.

Second was when I was still cleaning up the harness and putting it all back together and I hadn't gotten all the grounds sorted yet.

I would check those things first before replacing the flasher.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yeah the other night I was riding and hit a speed bump kind of hard and after I passed it I flipped on my blinker and it worked! So it probably is a ground because I have one brown cable that I think is the ground that leads to nothing...

I thought I was sort of getting the hang of the electrical thing then I tried to ground what I thought was the ground but it touched one of my rear flasher cables and suddenly my lights turned off and now my bike won't turn on... do you think I blew a fuse?

Comment

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
        Yeah the other night I was riding and hit a speed bump kind of hard and after I passed it I flipped on my blinker and it worked! So it probably is a ground because I have one brown cable that I think is the ground that leads to nothing...

I thought I was sort of getting the hang of the electrical thing then I tried to ground what I thought was the ground but it touched one of my rear flasher cables and suddenly my lights turned off and now my bike won't turn on... do you think I blew a fuse?
        That sounds likely... and I'm not sure if I've said this in an earlier thread of yours or not but if the original glass fuse holder is still there, get rid of it and replace it with an inline blade fuse holder. You can get them with decent gauge wire either side and all you should need is a pair of male bullet connectors to make it a direct swap for the old dodgy glass one.

sigpic

Comment

Just tossing this out there.This is what I use on all my bikes.It cures the no blinky issues with aftermarket lights and some LEDs.I think I give like $5 for these been a few years since I bought one.

Comment

Originally posted by ben2go View Post
            Just tossing this out there.This is what I use on all my bikes.It cures the no blinky issues with aftermarket lights and some LEDs.I think I give like $5 for these been a few years since I bought one.

Nice one Ben, nice to see you joined up over here too

I've contemplated replacing mine a few times because the blink rate is slow compared to modern vehicles, but that does also give it that "old" feel I like...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Nice one Ben, nice to see you joined up over here too

I've contemplated replacing mine a few times because the blink rate is slow compared to modern vehicles, but that does also give it that "old" feel I like...

Thanks and hello Pete.

Comment

... I have one brown cable that I think is the ground that leads to nothing...
                You are GUESSING about wiring?

Please stay away from my bikes.

If you will take a few minutes to get a wiring diagram for your bike from BassCliff's site, you will see that the brown wire is the HOT wire for the marker lights. Some bikes have an extra wire in the headlight bucket for connecting running lights in the front turn signals. Not sure if your bike had that option or not, but I am guessing not, because there was nothing connected to the wire.

Well, since I just mentioned that the brown wire is actually a HOT wire, yes, the chance that you blew a fuse is actually rather good. Look at the fuse at the end of your fuse block, that is the LIGHTS fuse. Replace it with a 10A fuse.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by ben2go View Post

Is this similar to the one you are recommending?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...L12_0325316274

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    You are GUESSING about wiring?

Please stay away from my bikes.

If you will take a few minutes to get a wiring diagram for your bike from BassCliff's site, you will see that the brown wire is the HOT wire for the marker lights. Some bikes have an extra wire in the headlight bucket for connecting running lights in the front turn signals. Not sure if your bike had that option or not, but I am guessing not, because there was nothing connected to the wire.

Well, since I just mentioned that the brown wire is actually a HOT wire, yes, the chance that you blew a fuse is actually rather good. Look at the fuse at the end of your fuse block, that is the LIGHTS fuse. Replace it with a 10A fuse.

Thanks for the advice even though it's a little blunt. I actually only have one fuse, not a fuse block and thanks a lot Pete for the idea of switching it over to bladed fuses!!

Comment

Is this similar to the one you are recommending?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...L12_0325316274

Those are basically the same flasher relay.

Comment

I ended up getting some random flasher relay at Autozone and it worked perfectly, so cool!

Comment

I ended up getting some random flasher relay at Autozone and it worked perfectly, so cool!

Glad you found one that works for your set up.Any two prong electronic flasher will usually work.There are some LED signals that it won't work with.Then it's off to buy the expensive fancy LED only relay.

Comment

Working...
                          X