r/r repalce ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

r/r repalce ?

ok im planning on doing a sawp on my r./r . planning on usiing an r1 or cbr 600 replacemtn fire wire set up. i understand you take the three yellow stator wires and hook them directlly into the box . then you take the black wire and run it directlly to the battery/ frame gorund/ negative. what has me confused is the red wire. do you run it to the battery postive or do you run it back to the orignal harness. my old r/r plug had four wires to it and a sepertate wire on the r/r as a ground. just didnt know if i juist do not use those wires any more or if the red needs to be hooked up to the new rectifier. im trying not to make this to confusing. also since i am running the stator wires to the new rectifier itself instead of plugging them into the orignal harness what do i do with the three old plug ins. thanks guys

So you have a Suzuki? What kind? My guess is its newer than a 1981, since you are talking about a plug on the R/R. I think the best choice would be to cut the plug off and wire directly. Last time I did it on a 1982 1100G, I cut the plug off the old R/R and soldered it to the wires on the Honda R/R, but now I think it would have been better to remove the plug. I run the red wire to the harness where the old R/R went. Any toasted connectors you find, or connectors with burn marks on the clear sheath should be replaced. I like to hard wire the R/R to the stator and the output wire with soldered connections and shrink tubing. There have been too many toasted connectors for me to trust them.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

K let me specify i have an 82 gs1100gk im planning on dooing the fh012 r1 or cbr600 r and r. I know i can run all thress stator wires to the new r and r and a ground from the r and r to the battery. What do i run the last wire to is my? My battery or back to the old orognal harness. Im hardwiring the stator to the r an r. Do i just abandon the three old stator plugs and the four wires and plug that used to go to the old r/r

Comment

The three stator wires will go to the three wires on the R/R. Black goes to ground, red should go to the positive side of the battery with a fuse in there.

Also, put your bike info in your signature block so we don't have to ask and you don't have to remember.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by hmeric7 View Post
          K let me specify i have an 82 gs1100gk im planning on dooing the fh012 r1 or cbr600 r and r. I know i can run all thress stator wires to the new r and r and a ground from the r and r to the battery. What do i run the last wire to is my? My battery or back to the old orognal harness. Im hardwiring the stator to the r an r. Do i just abandon the three old stator plugs and the four wires and plug that used to go to the old r/r
          Duaneage provides a tutorial in this thread on how to hook up a Honda R/R with a sense wire. It is for a Pre '82 mainly, but except for the plugs, the wireing really isn't different. You shouldn't have any wires to abandon, except for a white/red and white/green that originally routed one of the stator wires to the left handlebar switch pod and back. That is not needed. The wiring all hooks up the same way except for the sense wire.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

I run the sense wire to the positive battery terminal. The tutorial shows it going in to the orange wire powering the rear brake light switch. On an '82 1100G, I had a problem with that. There was too much voltage drop in the wiring, which told the R/r to provide too much voltage. It boiled out the water from the battery. Now I run the sense wire to the positive terminal on the battery. I usually ground the regulator to the starter solenoid, and run a jumper from there to the battery and to the frame, just to make sure. It looks like the Honda ground might be green, and the sense wire black.

I've hooked up 8 or so of these, but have to be trained again each time.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
          X