Gear position indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear position indicator

What years/models have a gear position indicator? I am looking for the sensor to build a gear position setup for a dragbike and want to make sure I get the right one.

GS1100 based engine.

Thanks
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

'78 and '79 750 and 850's. Some 550's (Not sure of the years) '79 1000L's.
    There may be some others.

Eric

Comment

My son't first GS, an '81 450T had an indicator, so it's not just the larger bikes, either.

I think virtually all of them did, in one form or another.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

my 83 GS750 has it

I see an 83 550 has it as well

Comment

I thought it was pretty much all of them...

Some had 6 spots that lit up depending on the gear (even if the bike only had 5 gears) and some had one spot that showed the gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            My son't first GS, an '81 450T had an indicator, so it's not just the larger bikes, either.

I think virtually all of them did, in one form or another.

Yup, 80 - 82 450's had them as well. Six numbers at the top of the cluster.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

my 85 gs700 has one

Comment

'83 650G...yes. 5 positions + neutral
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

1980 GS1000G has gear position indicator

My 1980 GS1000G has the gear position indicator. The display unit has 1 thru 6, but only 1 thru 5 are used. There are some aftermarket options, not sure how they are triggered or wired up.
                  KID
                  1980 GS1000G Full vetter touring pack (getting closer)

Comment

Originally posted by deven5498 View Post
                    My 1980 GS1000G has the gear position indicator. The display unit has 1 thru 6, but only 1 thru 5 are used. There are some aftermarket options, not sure how they are triggered or wired up.
                    I will be using LED's for a display so trying to figure out if there is a difference in the sensor that mounts at the end of the shift drum. Parts fiches haven't been much help. Looked at them for a couple different years of 1100 and there are a couple different part numbers with vastly different part numbers.
                    Feel The Pulse!

ebay cntgeek

Comment

AFAIK its just a ground out from the switch on the specific wire to the bulb.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing View Post
                        I will be using LED's for a display so trying to figure out if there is a difference in the sensor that mounts at the end of the shift drum. Parts fiches haven't been much help. Looked at them for a couple different years of 1100 and there are a couple different part numbers with vastly different part numbers.
                        Would pictures help at all? I'm pulling the engine out of the frame this week, and I have the cover off my 650; I could easily upload a couple of images.
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I know how it works and what it is supposed to look like, I had a scrap yard sensor I wired up already and want a new suzuki sensor to build another setup. I just need to know fitment because I don't know what model I got the first one from. I know the sensor for my 1000 had all the brass contacts but they aren't all brought out in the plug to the harness. My guess is that it is the more expensive one
                          Feel The Pulse!

ebay cntgeek

Comment

My '79 GS550 has it, with 6 lights + a neutral light.

Comment

sorry if this is the wrong thread but i was wondering if I could eliminate my sensor and display unit?

Comment

Working...
                              X