Gear position indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
    Would pictures help at all? I'm pulling the engine out of the frame this week, and I have the cover off my 650; I could easily upload a couple of images.
    Not to hijack this, but why are you doing this, BigD_83?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by gs750caferacer View Post
      sorry if this is the wrong thread but i was wondering if I could eliminate my sensor and display unit?
      Sure, they aren't critical for running bike, so disconnect sensor (but leave in place) and pull off display
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
        AFAIK its just a ground out from the switch on the specific wire to the bulb.
        That' s what I found- sensor likely the same but different connector length depending on where it meets harness.
        1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by gs750caferacer View Post
          sorry if this is the wrong thread but i was wondering if I could eliminate my sensor and display unit?
          OK if the gear indicator lights irritate you a bit, just follow the bunch of wires from the position switch on the side of the engine and unplug the multi-plug. The single blue wire with the bullet connector is for the neutral light so you can leave that one working if you want.
          You have to retain the position switch otherwise you will have a hole in the side of the transmission!

Why do you want to do this? Are you removing the OEM gauges?

Comment

The gear indicator is one of my favorite parts of my GS.
            Not sure why, I just think it's a neat feature.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Not to hijack this, but why are you doing this, BigD_83?
              Wow, blast from the past, Tom...

That was when I was pulling the engine to get at those nasty, broken off header bolts.

We now return to regularly scheduled programming
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

My 1974 GT550 had one.
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

GS550 definitely will not work for you, it is a 6 speed. All bikes 650 and larger were all 5 speeds. I am not sure if the 400/425/450 series had the 6 also, or other smaller models. They are all the same engine, just upping the displacement over the years.

P.O. of my bike had swapped out the gauges due to a broken speedo lens, and just plugged in another Suzuki set, and the indicator and neutral light do not work now,but the gear indicator reads some abnormal characters randomly. Not sure if this is a problem with the used gauges, or if the wiring plugs are different for different models.
                  '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                  '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                  '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                  '79 GS425stock
                  PROJECTS:
                  '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                  '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                  '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                  '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                  '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                    My 1974 GT550 had one.
                    \

Cool !
                    I thought my 78 750 was one of the first.

It's interesting how my bike and some other earlier bikes had the digital readout, and later bikes had light bulbs for each gear in a line.

BTW - The one on my bike still works after 34+ years!

Comment

thanks mate !

Comment

Working...
                      X