Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong part ordered..R/R

1979 GS1000L

I Just finished cleaning up the carbs and putting the bike back together to move to other issues (PO is making life really easy), and starting to check on the charging system. Both the stator and r/r have been replaced in the past, but after a few runs at idle, the battery was discharging (new AGM). After a full 24 hrs on the maintainer, battery was holding at 13.2v. Started bike, but only had 12.1v at idle. After hitting the Stator Papers, the stator checks out ok, but the r/r failed the diode test, and with 17v at 2500 RPM, I assumed the r/r was shot.
    So, off to Dennis Kirk for an r/r. Unfortunately, In my haste, I allowed Dennis Kirk to show me the unit for my bike, and ordered it post-haste. The part arrived, installed it, tested the output to the battery, and......17v at 2500rpm. Puzzled, I noticed the part number of what came. It's a rectifier-only!!!!!! I also noticed the old r/r in the bike was exactly the same (older of course). Now I have I have a brand new rectifier, and NO regulator (gone long ago). Is there any possible way to add an external regulator ( like the one originally on the bike)? Are there any aftermarket external regulators from other manufacturers?
    I know I will most likely end up eating the money for the rectifier to get the appropriate r/r, but was hoping to save the rectifier I have now. Any help wou
    D be greatly appreciated.

Most people just install Honda R/R's, there are tonnes of used ones on eBay for cheap.

Maybe this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLTAGE-REGU...#ht_500wt_1413

or this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLTAGE-REGU...#ht_500wt_1413

There is a list on BassCliffs site that shows compatible part numbers.

Comment

Just get a used Shindengen (honda style) R/R for cheap money and keep your charging system happy. It's too bad Kirk didn't emphasize that you had a two part setup.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the Rick's Motorsports 10-202 regulator/rectifier, will be here in a few days. Lesson learned....I need to pay attention to part numbers

Comment

The used Honda one is better.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Cant imagine why you came on here and asked for opinions only to ignore the response. Seems like a waste of time.

Comment

Working...
            X