Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1977 GS550 starter seems to short out at the points??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS550 starter seems to short out at the points??

just got 77 GS550 out of long hibernation...when using starter it seems like its shorting at the points...when kick starting it sends spark to plugs and starts right up....any ideas???

My first question would be "at what points is it shorting?"

I was not aware that a starter even had "points".

The only "points" that I am aware of on a '77 550 would be the ignition points, and they have nothing to do with the starter.

What is the condition of the battery? Even if it was connected to a proper battery tender, a "long hibernation" (just low long was it?) is still not good for a battery. Try using jumper cables (to a non-running vehicle, please) to see if it starts easily. If it does, your battery is shot.

One last point: it has been in a "long hibernation", yet it starts and runs (when kicked)?
    Congratulations on at least treating the carburetors properly.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

breaker points !!!

brand new battery...rolls fast and sure....when using electric start it appears to be some arcing in the breaker points and plugs get no spark....when using kick start no arcing and it sparks gr8 and fires right up...sorry for confusion over wat points...i am not familiar with other points on these but it is my first gs550

Comment

Check your ground wire from the engine block to the chassis and battery.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree w/ Steve. Sounds like a bad ground.

I'd remove the engine ground, and take the whole wire and both bolts down to a local car audio shop. Tell them you need a new ground cable with the same terminals. They'll hook you up pretty cheap.

Or, you could be like me and just kick start it every time

Comment

Working...
          X