Starter whirling noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter whirling noise?

Okay, basically my starter is making a "whirling" noise, but isn't engaging the engine. I can hear an electrical Spin, and when I rip it apart, it's clearly burned the brushes a little, and I can smell it....but that's it!

I just replaced the brushes with the correct ones, and I've had this starter apart many times for cleaning and "study", but never had this noise!
    (replaced the brushes because the starter was limping and dragging)

Is it time for a new starter, or did I overlook something?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2012, 02:18 AM.

You should be all done with the "study" phase of this starter- just bury it, unless you enjoy removing them.The smell means trouble. Used one- maybe.$30 off ebay?? time to ride .
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sounds like your starter clutch is not engaging. When you press the starter button the clutch moves the gear forward to engage the engine, then pulls it back when you let off the button.
      Check your manual for how to remove it.

Comment

Alright thanks, it makes sense now.
        I just thought it was bizarre how everything was working before, and now it's not!

But the 650 was highly abused...so I guess it doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
          Alright thanks, it makes sense now.
          I just thought it was bizarre how everything was working before, and now it's not!

But the 650 was highly abused...so I guess it doesn't surprise me.
          So, "what makes sense now" ? The starter motor has to get up to speed or it will do a poor job of driving the starter clutch. The 650 shafties had odd starter motor- used same one as on 450's and maybe the 300's (not sure). If you can't find one, let me know as I have a spare which seems decent.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Alright, figured it out.
            The starter was spinning the wrong way!

I flipped the starter case around, and it spins the right way now. Motor engages fine.
            --------
            How I figured it out....
            I finally just cracked open the stator-case, hit the Starter button and Watched the gears move. The crank gear just "effortlessly" spun Clockwise, like it was in "free-spin"....meanwhile Counter-Clockwise had resistance. I put 2 + 2 together....it's going the wrong ****ing way!
            Had a hunch that if I flipped the starter-case around, it would change the starter-gear direction...Yep!

Comment

Working...
            X