Charging on a GS 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging on a GS 850G

I bought the bike used and went through the electrical, cleaning up the burnt connectors and checking the stator for proper AC out put. I still have whatever R/R came with it--I'm assuming it's stock. Everything was jam up. I've since put 22,000 miles on it and yesterday the battery was dead. It's old so I assumed that it was time for replacement. I just so happen to have another bike with the same battery so I installed it and bingo --all is well with the world again or so I thought. just for drill I put the meter on the battery at rest and got 12.48 VDC. When I started the bike the voltage actually dropped. If I get the revs up to 4Gs I get around 12.85 VDC but nowhere near the 13+ I was getting last time I checked. Should I just go ahead and commit suicide or could there be hope ?

Read "The Stator papers". Link is on the front page of GSR Tech section.

Could be as simple as bad grounds. Could be one leg on your stator has gone out. Could be RR but doesn't sound like it to me....

If it is RR & you want another stock one then PM me. I have one off a 80GS1000G that is tested & working great. That era were the best of the Stock GS RR's in my opinion as the heatsink size is biggest.

Lots of people fitting Honda or Shindengen or Compufire RR's too. Loads of info in the forums.

There is a Kawasaki stator that fits (I think also for your model) that goes cheap. GS500 (90's bike) stator also fits I think, Bwringer posted about that recently. Again there is a bunch of info on the forum.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

How does that battery perform in the other bike, voltage normal under charging?

Bike batteries are wierd little things and behave in ways not seen in automotive batteries.

In addition to what Salty Monk posted (and, BTW you shouldn't take his advice with 'a grain of salt', VBG) what happens if you pull the headlight fuse? Does voltage go up?

Look through the stator papers and if you don't find a solution, reach overload, or need help in interpretation, post back and we will try to help.

What year is your GS850G, sounds like a 1979?

Someone will correct if I'm wrong but think the '79 has an odd stator and rotor which are not compatable with later and higher output models. If you need a stator replacement, you will need to ensure that you have the correct number ot stator poles. Someone may have done a rotor and stator swap to a later model and if not you may wish to consider this. I am looking for a later rotor if someone has a spare as want to upgrade my tiny alternator output.

Any chance you added an other accessory? The 1979 has low output so even grip heaters (like you need them in Florida...) might be too much unless you reduce the other loads.

Comment

Working...
      X