No load charging system output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No load charging system output

How many volts should the hot lead off the regulator rectifier show when not connected to the bike?

I have 15 volts when the regulator hot lead isn't connected to the bike, but only 12.x volts when connected to the batteries positive terminal. I have rewired the entire bike with an eastman beaver PC-8 fuse box. New ground wire all clean connectors. All quality connectors soldered and shrink tubed.

Any thoughts appreciated.

1980 GS1000G with complete vetter tour pack
    New Rick's stator (75+ volts AC on all pairs)
    New Shindengen MOSFET FH012AA
    New trickle charged battery

Thanks guys and sorry for yet another charging questions.
    KID
    1980 GS1000G Full vetter touring pack (getting closer)

Sounds like your new R/R isn't working, or you wired something incorrectly. Do you have a spare R/R to try?

BTW, I trust you wired the stator directly into the R/R? Grounded the R/R to the frame and/or neg battery post? Power out straight to the battery with in-line fuse, or though dedicated fuse in fuse block?
    Last edited by Nessism; 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Wow you guys are fast. I only have the old one which didn't work either. Wiring triple checked. I used al the new 10 ga wires in the Shindengen kit. Grounded to the engine case. Same place as the battery. It does increas volts little with rpm increase, like .5 volts.
      KID

Comment

Assuming your stator,R/R and the wiring is good as you say.
        Have you checked for any continuity between the stator wires and ground? There should be none.

Comment

FIXED - No load charging system output

Ok, I'm almost to embarrassed to say this , but it's fixed. The issue was that the plug from the stator was not plugged in fully. So with the partial connection i was seeing no load voltage of 15 volts, but not a good enough connection to show the voltage under full load.

Always start with the easy stuff.

Thanks for the replies, this is a great community!
          Last edited by deven5498; 03-16-2012, 01:07 AM.
          KID

Comment

Originally posted by deven5498 View Post
            Ok, I'm almost to embarrassed to say this , but it's fixed. The issue was that the plug from the stator was not plugged in fully. So with the partial connection i was seeing no load voltage of 15 volts, but not a good enough connection to show the voltage under full load.

Always start with the easy stuff.

Thanks for the replies, this is a great community!
            While that might be true, I don't believe anywhere in the stator pages there is a test to measure the R/R output with it not connected to the battery................... In fact it warns to make sure the battery is good

When all else fails read the directions (stator pages in this case)

Comment

The battery was brand new and trickle charged. I assure you I have read the stator pages multiple times and half of basscliff's site. I was hesitant to post yet another charging question. I appreciate all the comments and help!!

You bring up a good point in that you should NOT test the Regulator Rectifier output when not connected to the bike. Per the re-seller i bought mine from it puts excessive strain on the R/R since all the power going into it from the stator has no where to go.

Thanks!
              Last edited by deven5498; 01-08-2013, 06:05 AM.
              KID

Comment

Working...
              X