81 GS650g Dual Coiled Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650g Dual Coiled Question

Hi Guys/Gals. I have just brought my GS650g out of winter storage and am getting it ready for this season. Last season before winterizing it I noticed that at times I had misfiring occurring but figured I would tackle that the start of this season. Well, I replaced the charging system last year with a stator and regulator/rectifier from ElectroSport Industries. Installed a 35watt HID headlight to be more power conscious, and had the carbs tuned and synced. Repaired/Replaced all bad electrical connections and wires. Just short of having the bike totally restored (which was done two years ago) all that would effect the electrical has been done. This year it won't start at all, not even a kick from any cylinder. I did note a raw gas smell so I removed a plug to see if it was flooded, it was. While the one plug was out I turned over the bike a few revolutions and to my surprise, there was life from the other side of the bike, one cylinder was kicking. Cleaned the plug, re-installed it and crossed my fingers. Nothing again. Now I have pondered on two possible solutions. (1) with research I have found that most are of the opinion that both a 5 ohm resisted plug boot and a resisted plug "D(R)8EA" should not be used in unison. Does anybody here have an opinion on this. I am going to pick up a set of NGK Iridium DR8EIX for their proven performance and starting benefits; and if need be, pulling the resistor out of the boots. With some valid opinions from you people. (2) is the option that I don't really want to tackle if I don't have to, but if the previous solution fails to give results, I'm going to source out a pair of Dyna Coils. Unfortunately the Dyna web site lists no kit, coil size or input resistance of the coils for this bike. Another reach out. Has anyone here had the the opportunity to learn these specifications for an 81 GS650G. Thanks in advance for just reading this small novel.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2012, 01:49 AM.

Your problem is carburetion, not ignition. You need to pull the carbs, remove the fuel bowls and floats, and clean the needle and seats with carb cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      Your problem is carburetion, not ignition. You need to pull the carbs, remove the fuel bowls and floats, and clean the needle and seats with carb cleaner.
      This makes sense, unlikely that ignition system died over winter- more likely bad petcock pushing on tired needle valves all winter. How did it run last year after "tuned and synch" event ? Did the misfiring develop at same time?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

We have the government and their pro-ethanol agenda to thank for this problem!

Comment

Headway in the right direction.

I have made quite a bit of headway with the problem, it seems that I had a plug that probably only has less the 10 hours on it, cracked down the ceramic insulator. Noticed it while cranking it over at night looking for spark leaving the wires to ground. The wires were good and the spark shooting out the side of the cracked plug was a nice strong blue hue. So, right from there I figured out that one coil was totally useless while losing all its energy to ground. replaced that plug with an old one I cleaned up and gapped and not she runs but still has a problem with one cylinder. More will be tackled after I install the DR8EIX Iridium plugs; and it better make some difference at $12.99 each.
          I also removed the resistors from the plug boots and replaced them with round steel stock and dielectric grease. As for how it ran last season, I restored the bike two seasons ago and rebuilt the carburetors at the beginning of last season. I had no problems with it except my stator burned out and took my rectifier/regulator with it. replaced them and had no more issues till about one week before I stored it for the season, thats when the slight missing happened. all I can think of is there might have been the small starting of a cracked insulator, some moisture happens to get into the insulator and freezes causing an ice jacking effect splitting the insulator down to the point of constant shorting. I shall see tomorrow though.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2012, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Well the New plugs are in and seem to work really well. Seem to still have an almost imperceptible stumble but I believe that it may be an out of adjustment valve, my next shop visit. As for how good these NGK Hyper IX Treme plugs are, only time will tell and I will post my findings and feelings about them after a good trial period. Aside from that. Thank you to all who submitted your opinions as to what may have been the problem. I appreciate it.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2012, 12:46 AM. Reason: Typo of course. lol

Comment

Working...
            X