melted wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

melted wires

I have a 1982 suzukigs1100gk a few weeks ago my r/r caught on fire so i went thru and replaced every plug with soldered spade connecrers and heat shrink tubing. I took the tank off and both the blue plug and white plugs with 9 wires per side on each plug wherr completely melted togethrr. I belive the white plug was melter to a ball. What would cause that to happen i belive it is the wires that run to speedo. I have since replaced plug witg spade connecters so should be good know. Checked for goid grounds and no broken wires or bare now. Would any of the plugs that were melted cause that r/r to melt. Just curious i still have to do what the stator pages say to do. Ordered a fh0009 r/r planning on running three stator wires direct to it and the a direct power to battery and ground

Mine had a similar fire outbreak, end up being the starter hot wire post made connection with its cover after vibration rubbed a hole through the protective boot, either way, sounds like a hot lead got pinched shorted to ground, or the RR shorted internally

Comment

Corrosion on the connectors makes a lot of heat, most neglected old bikes show signs of hot connectors here and there, some worse than others... If it gets bad enough the heat melts and burns the plastic connector plugs, and lets the wires inside come together... Big short circuit, lets more current flow, which makes more heat, it all snowballs out of control...

Then

This excess current makes the RR fry and catch fire. Likely the stator has been cooked as well as a lot of wires.

Cleaning the corrosion off of the connectors periodically will keep this from ever happening.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by hmeric7 View Post
        I have a 1982 suzukigs1100gk a few weeks ago my r/r caught on fire so i went thru and replaced every plug with soldered spade connecrers and heat shrink tubing. I took the tank off and both the blue plug and white plugs with 9 wires per side on each plug wherr completely melted togethrr. I belive the white plug was melter to a ball. What would cause that to happen i belive it is the wires that run to speedo. I have since replaced plug witg spade connecters so should be good know. Checked for goid grounds and no broken wires or bare now. Would any of the plugs that were melted cause that r/r to melt. Just curious i still have to do what the stator pages say to do. Ordered a fh0009 r/r planning on running three stator wires direct to it and the a direct power to battery and ground
        The highlighted section is critical. The stator wire cooked the harness and must be rewired properly. I wish more GSR folks would do this before their harness melts.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          The highlighted section is critical. The stator wire cooked the harness and must be rewired properly. I wish more GSR folks would do this before their harness melts.
          It's almost like WHEN it happens not IF it happens, thats why it was one of the first things I did before the rest of the wire clean/repair/relay mods. I won't even attempt to hear my bike run till I feel all the neglect and age old system is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
            I won't even attempt to hear my bike run till I feel all the neglect and age old system is ready.
            I agree with to to some extent, but I know there are several here that think along the same lines as I:
            I'd like to hear the engine run for at least a few seconds to make sure the rest of the project will be worth it.

What I mean is, what's the point of re-habbing the electrical if the rods are knocking?
            It that's the case, your "project" bike has just turned into a "parts" bike.
            Besides, you really have to have the engine running to fully evaluate the stator.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I agree with to to some extent, but I know there are several here that think along the same lines as I:
              I'd like to hear the engine run for at least a few seconds to make sure the rest of the project will be worth it.

What I mean is, what's the point of re-habbing the electrical if the rods are knocking?
              It that's the case, your "project" bike has just turned into a "parts" bike.
              Besides, you really have to have the engine running to fully evaluate the stator.

1100 shafty engines are cheap and easy to swap.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

+1 tkent
                Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                1100 shaft engines are cheap and easy to swap.
                That was my thought process, if after I go through everything and the engine is toast, I 'll get another donor engine, and learn to rebuild this one. But I also understand the need to know, if your on a strict budget, but I've been without a running bike for a couple years, so I'm going through this one thoroughly. I just meant, I've read many new post/threads where thier only concern was to hear it run, and after they do, they want the fix all shortcut to riding afterwards forgetting there's more to it, not always the case, but I read that a lot with a lot of newcomers.
                And Stator evaluation and other items needing the bike running will come afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                X