Electrical Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Issue

I posted this is my forum intro but figured I'd get a better response in the proper section:

Right now I have the bike torn apart trying to figure out this electrical issue. The owner before me did a complete hack job on this bike's electrical compoents. The left control is wired in with butt connectors (factory connector cut off) and the turn signals are wired in with speaker wire. The dummy lights are not wired in as the connector is cut off. I have a new left switch and dummy display on order from ebay.

The issue is that sometimes when the head light is on, the right turn signals also illuminate solid. Also sometimes when the right turn signals are turned on with the switch, the brake illuminates and flashes with the blinkers, along with the back lighting to the instruments.

I am an HVAC contractor with a pretty good electrical background as well. Though I have not fooled with automobile 12v systems much. I consider myself pretty handy in general. I've been on this electrical issue for 3 evenings now with no luck. Last night I got to the point that I ripped the entire harness off the bike to inspect. So far it looks like the wires are in good condition, but I haven't finished unwrapping it. I decided to step away from it for a day and cool off.

Anyone have any ideas off the top of their head?

Never mind. Figured it out tonight. After inspect, I reinstalled the wiring harness tonight and cleaned up a few connections. I found that my fuse box is going bad. A couple of my hot wires are getting power intermittently, I've got it all working clean for now, but the fuse box needs to be replaced.

Comment

Crage said....".I decided to step away from it for a day and cool off. "

As a HVAC contractor, you'll get up to speed real quick on this 12 volt stuff. Make sure you visit Basscliff's site to scoop a wiring diagram that's close to your bike and all will seem easy, just like Staples!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah I got the diagram and book marked his site about a week before I started posting on here

I think I've got her all lined out now. Just waiting on parts now to replace the previous owners hack job.

Comment

Working...
        X