R/R Insatallation Update & Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got done with install of used but nice SH 014AA R/R from 08 CBR1000RR onto my 81 GS850G, Got what I believe are good readings but just need reviews from those in the know.

Static test after install. Battery which had been on a Battery Tender overnight was reading 13.4v. At idle got about 13.8v reading, rev to 5k & got 14.4v. Higher revs couldn't get any higher. All that seemed proper to me.

When warmed up & on the road, at idle voltage around 12.6v dropping to below 12.0 over time. This is waiting at light with all my lights on including brake. Recovers pretty quick on takeoff.

At RPMs from say 2k to up & above 5k the voltage is dead solid 14.0v. Did see 14.1 v for about a minute following a traffic light stop but just once. Stays there if I hit hi-beams or use turn signals or use brakes. If I have hi-beam on at idle & take off the voltage doesn't seem to want to go over 13.8v even after say a minute or two, soon as I switch to lo-beam it's right back up to 14.0v

So unless someone says it ain't kosher, I am happy with a 14.0 solid reading.

What say you all?

If for any reason anyone wants pix of this I will email you separately off site. I just ain't smart enough to figure how to post pix after reading BassCliff's instructions, I never get it right. Prefer to live in stone age with dial up & an old mule. Not sure my pics are any more clarifying than the ones that have already been shown though.

I had to buy a pack of larger sized spade terminals of the female persuasion. Cheap & plain, $8.14 for 50 but I have all these left over & doubt if I will ever use them. Anyone need some & don't want to buy a box of 50 lemmee know. Will mail you what you need & round off below cost (16.3 cents each!).
    Thanks for all your help while I went through the choice of replacement R/R & tried to figure out how to wire. Ole Roadkill seems to actually run better does that make sense or am I just hallucinating??????

DH

I'm at suzukizone@yahoo.com

I think you are solid. Way to go. Now go out and ride!

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      I think you are solid. Way to go. Now go out and ride!
      Now there's a good idear!
      Thanks,
      DH

Comment

Those readings are marvelous! Don't get lazy though, check occasionally to ensure happy motoring.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Those readings are marvelous! Don't get lazy though, check occasionally to ensure happy motoring.
          Hi tom203. Well I had recently set up a lead with a cig lighter socket in it for use w/GPS. The little digital volt meter plugs into this to so if I'm not lost or planning to get lost, I can swap the meter in at a moment's notice.

I did notice that my multi light LED guage is now posting 2 green lights at all times(measured at 13.6v & above). With old R/R the guage always was nearly always on a single green (so below 13.6v) Until I could hhook up the digi guage, I never knew what each suceeding green LED meant numerically. Guess I wasn't getting enough juice out of the system for quite awhile.

Thanks for all your input to help me to get good output.

DH

Comment

Working...
          X