No announcement yet.

Hot at the solenoid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amps give u heat..... Resitance reduces amps..... the only time u get heat fron restiance is a lught bulb whenthe wire is too small and voltage is right tjen the wire just burns in half(ligjtbulb dont because ofthe vacume inside) sorry for the spelling and grammer I'm on a prettydumb smart phone.......lol

Comment

Well guys Duaneage gets the prize today. The old solenoid was a mess. Somehow the post to the battery side was all rusty and crusty and I don't know how it got that way as the other side was as clean as a whistle and I distinctly remember cleaning them both on the wire wheel before mounting it. Its a puzzler.

Anyway, I replaced it with the garden tractor model I had on the 550 project and she cranks no fuss and no muss. No heat build up and no need for the booster battery.

Again , my thanks to all who commented. I appreciate all the assistance. Maybe I'll get the Kat on its tires for a road test this weekend after all.

Cheers,
      spyug

Comment

I took a solenoid from my bike to pieces.
        It was still operating OK but I was surprised to see just how much contact area gets nibbled away with usage.

You might also want to clean and tighten the positive cable from solenoid to battery and form solenoid to starter.

Solenoids cannot be that pricy. I have one from a 550e you can borrow or buy. The PO snipped then pigtailed the low amp wired to it however.

Comment

You can get one for a garden tractor at Lowes for around $15. Works great on the GPz. It is just a high current relay, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by sk843143 View Post
            Amps give u heat..... Resitance reduces amps..... the only time u get heat fron restiance is a lught bulb whenthe wire is too small and voltage is right tjen the wire just burns in half(ligjtbulb dont because ofthe vacume inside) sorry for the spelling and grammer I'm on a prettydumb smart phone.......lol
            That would be False, any current passing through a resistance creates heat. It is true the higher the current, the higher the heat created but without getting technical less resistance = less heat.

Comment

Thanks guys. As I mentioned the garden tractor (from Lowes) $15 model came to the rescue. Quite a bit better deal than the $50+ stocker from the Zuk store.

Cheers,
              Spyug

Comment

Working...
              X