No spark, new ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
    TCK, the 850GLZ appears to have come equipped with mechanical advance already.

Don't hold the spark plug in your hand to check for spark!

The plug needs to be grounded: usually we can just hold it against the metal head (with the wire attached of course). It might be hard to see in bright light, but there should be a bright blue spark across the gap. If the plug insulator is black, that's a sign of carbon fouling, in which case the spark won't jump the gap but just travel through the carbon to ground. You can soak the plugs in white vinegar overnight to remove any built-up carbon. Or just get new ones.

To test your coils:

Unplug the low-voltage primary side and set your multi-tester to the lowest ohm range. Across the input leads you should measure about 3 ohms.

For the secondaries, unplug the boots in pairs from 1&4: set your ohmmeter to the highest ohm range, or at least 50Kohms. Measure across the plug caps where the plugs connect. For stock coils, the coil itself is about 15Kohms, the wires have negligible resistance, and the caps are either about 10Kohms each (for stock) or maybe 5Kohms (for NGKs). That would make your total about 22K-40Kohms. If it's very high you can unscrew the plug caps from the wires and test those individually. Often they go bad when they get older and their resistances go WAY up.

But first, definitely ground the plugs when you test them.
    Im aware this isnt correct. When I didnt see spark I wanted to see if it was bad lighting as it was quite bright out. Ive done this several times before when no spark was apparent. Im not crazy I just know if I dont see it this will jolt me if im blind.

Im getting a voltage tester today. one tool i dont have any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      You should also make sure that whomever installed the Dyna put a mechanical advancer on it. The later models used an electronic advance, and when you install a Dyna to replace the igniter, you must install a mech advancer from an earlier model.
      Dont know what a mechanical advancer looks like. Where is it
      And if there isnt one where do i find one?

Seems easier to put the original ignition back.

Comment

See the signal generator parts fiche for your model (1982 GS850GLZ), it's part #4, shown as a unit with rotor:

The Dyna S wiring is much simpler than the stock ignition, and they're known to be pretty reliable - arguably more so than the stock ignition. Are you certain yet that you are not getting spark? Have you checked your voltage at the coils?

The wiring couldn't be simpler. The Dyna S was designed to replace points, so the "igniter" as it were is built into the "sig gen" unit. There are only three wires: a switched +12V in (usually tapped with one of the coils) and two negative leads going right to the coils. The Dyna itself is grounded against the block. The coils keep their +12V switched on the orange/white wires, and the other leads are connected to the black or white leads from the Dyna. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
          See the signal generator parts fiche for your model (1982 GS850GLZ), it's part #4, shown as a unit with rotor:

The Dyna S wiring is much simpler than the stock ignition, and they're known to be pretty reliable - arguably more so than the stock ignition. Are you certain yet that you are not getting spark? Have you checked your voltage at the coils?

The wiring couldn't be simpler. The Dyna S was designed to replace points, so the "igniter" as it were is built into the "sig gen" unit. There are only three wires: a switched +12V in (usually tapped with one of the coils) and two negative leads going right to the coils. The Dyna itself is grounded against the block. The coils keep their +12V switched on the orange/white wires, and the other leads are connected to the black or white leads from the Dyna. That's it.
          positive theres no spark. I just borrowed my friends voltmeter about to check things.

Comment

Working...
          X