More igniton problems. Round 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More igniton problems. Round 3.

Dyna S on a 79 GS550, with EMGO coils. Ignition system was working until this morning.

Now I'm getting NO spark. I've got 1 side of each coil and the +12v input for the Dyna all tied together, ran through a toggle, and straight to the battery. I get no power when the coils are hooked up. If I unhook both coils, the test light comes on @ full power. When I hook even one of the coils up, the light gets really dim or doesn't even light up.

I did swap the rotor to a rotor from my old Dyna III, but the bike ran after I did that. I only ran it for a few minutes, but it started easily and idle/revved good. That was late last night. This morning it had no spark.

Which side of the coil is your test light on? On the 12v side your test light should remain lit pretty well. On the ground/dyna S side of the coil the test light will typically not be lit unless the coil is signaled to fire.

To test the system, with everything hooked up put your test light on the 12v connection at each coil and make sure it remains lit good while cranking. If it passes that test then move the test light to the other side (dyna side) of the coil, crank the bike, the test light should flash indicating dyna S is firing the coil. Test both coils test way.

If first test fails and you don't get the test light to stay lit with at least one or the other coil hooked up then you need to check your wiring from the battery to the coils. If the second test fails and the light doesn't flash you have either a break in the coil primary or wiring/dyna S issues on the dyna S side of the coil.

You should also have a fuse close to your connection to the battery.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Looks like my Dyna S is bad. Again. I've got continuity between the plate and the white wire, as well as between the plate and the black wire. The guys at Dyna told me that means the ignition is probably bad. I've also got some white corrosion-looking stuff on one of the pickups.

I wonder what caused this. The bike ran, I shut it off, and now the ignition is cooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
        Thanks for the help. Looks like my Dyna S is bad. Again. I've got continuity between the plate and the white wire, as well as between the plate and the black wire. The guys at Dyna told me that means the ignition is probably bad. I've also got some white corrosion-looking stuff on one of the pickups.

I wonder what caused this. The bike ran, I shut it off, and now the ignition is cooked.
        Hard to say what the cause was, stray currents can lead to corrosion. Making sure your connections are good is the best you can do. Also make sure your grounds are good, contrary to what many do on here it's not good to run multiple grounds for things, the current in ground loops can also lead to corrosion.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post

Well, the good news is Dyna, from what I understand, is pretty good about repairing their modules. It probably wont be free, but probably $30-$40 which is cheaper than a new unit.

Comment

Working...
          X