Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition issue cyl 2

heres my previous post to tell u what the bike does

now..i went out tests every electical thing an its good...

so i got the ebike runnning, reved to about 4k when i starts to backfire ..i pulled a plug wire one by one...

starting at cyl 4 (Far right side sitting on bike) i pulled 4 and 3 off, still popping...and didnt get shocked..

i pulled cyl number 2 plug wire off...which shocked the hell out of me in turn of droping the plug wire and whatchin pretty sparks up and down the plastic boot...and the popping went away..

so im guess that boot is junk? but if so i dont know why its doing it interment

no other plug wires shocked me for records

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
    heres my previous post to tell u what the bike does

now..i went out tests every electical thing an its good...

so i got the ebike runnning, reved to about 4k when i starts to backfire ..i pulled a plug wire one by one...

starting at cyl 4 (Far right side sitting on bike) i pulled 4 and 3 off, still popping...and didnt get shocked..

i pulled cyl number 2 plug wire off...which shocked the hell out of me in turn of droping the plug wire and whatchin pretty sparks up and down the plastic boot...and the popping went away..

so im guess that boot is junk? but if so i dont know why its doing it interment

no other plug wires shocked me for records
    Sounds like the insulator on the plug wire or boot is cracked and trashed. It happens. The only thing that sucks is you cant just replace the wires on the stock coils as they're epoxied into the coil. Some people have been able to cut em out and epoxy new ones in, but you might be better off finding a used coil with good wires, or buying some Dyna green coils (which you CAN replace the wires on). The plug boots ARE replaceable, and you might start with that first.
    If the plug wire is exposed somewhere, it will arc on the head and could be the cause of your firing issues....

Comment

You can replace the wires on the stock coil it is just a pain in the azz. You have the carefully dig the epoxy out from around the wire after you dig it out some you can pull the wire out. then clean up the hole where the wire was , be carefull not to bend the pin on the inside. then just push the new wire back into the coil, and I use a 2 part epoxy and seal the wire back in. Also I believe there is some info on this on Basscliffs site.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

ok put new boots on...no differnce...2 other spare coils made no difference...

cyl 1 an 2 if you hold the boot close to the head u can cleary see sparks but 3 and 4 nothing

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
          ok put new boots on...no differnce...2 other spare coils made no difference...

cyl 1 an 2 if you hold the boot close to the head u can cleary see sparks but 3 and 4 nothing
          That's virtually impossible, these bikes have a waste spark ignition and spark flows through both plugs to complete the secondary circuit. Make sure you have the wires not being tested plugged into their respective grounded plugs, if you just one by one go pulling the wires without putting them back you'll have what your seeing.

The fact that each coil fires says that you have at least a decent ignition that fires and that you need to look someplace different for a single cylinder miss. The plug and plug wire are the only ignition parts that will only affect just one cylinder.

If the bike is backfiring into the carbs I'd look at the carb for the offending cylinder and the valve timing. A spark that drops out generally won't backfire into the carb.

EDIT: Looking at your other post mentioning NO power, you could have ignition drop out on 2 cylinders (1-4 or 2-3) which could be a bad ignitor if either cylinder pair loses spark and the coil, wires, cap, and plug are good. NO power could also be fuel starvation or delivery problem which often shows itself while riding.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM.

Comment

i tried to ride the bike this morning...barley pulled itself

i did find how to test the igniter on cliffs site...long story when the 1.5 batt was touched like he said i had spark like it said..

touch sparks 1 and 4 take it of 2 an 3 spark..

which then said the igniter is in working condition...and the pickup is in the right ohm load range as well

so what the crap..am i missing something here?

edit: another thing if u pull plug wire 1-2 an just kinda set them on there it gets better..if have both wires on good..take one off, it does nothing to it
            Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

well had it running and had my hand resting on a carb...and guess what..i felt it jump forwards...i couldnt hear it with the airbox on...

so time to re-soak carbs

Comment

Working...
              X