2 Simple questions about flasher unit (ground?) wiring - '83 GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Simple questions about flasher unit (ground?) wiring - '83 GS650G

I've spent a great deal of time reading threads on turn signals, and I've got a pretty good handle on the various potential issues.

I feel fortunate that I don't (yet?) have a problem with the function of my indicators.

Next to the two prong "L-shaped" connector coming from the wiring harness and going to the unit attached to the battery box, there is a B/W wire with the female end of a bullet connector. Like everything else on this bike, I am assuming Black with White stripe would be a ground. The PO did not have this connected to anything when he gave me this motorcycle. I have not been able to find a free male bullet connector, and I have just had the engine out of the bike so there was nothing blocking my view.

I'm staring at the wiring diagram in the Clymer manual, but I don't see this wire. In the .pdf copy of the manual there might be a fine line in the wiring routing sketch going from the flasher unit to the battery box ground point.

I can post a picture later now that I've found my camera's battery charger, but for now here are MY questions:

1. To what, if anything, should this B/W wire be connected?

2. Would there have been a ring lug going to ground from this at one point?
    Last edited by BigD_83; 03-27-2012, 02:55 PM.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

My 81 used a black/white wire going from battery negative(was molded into big black wire) to a battery box mounting bolt- this was supposed to let the R/R "see" the battery thru this attachment. Needless to say this was a poor method- prone to corrossion- even Clymers called attention to it. Maybe by model year 83, Suzuki added an extra wire from battery box frame to main frame and your mystery wire might be it. Just make sure your R/R ground connects direct to battery negative- add a jumper if PO hasn't already done so.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hey Tom. Do you still have snow on the road there or were you fortunate to get the warm spell the Maritimes had throughout the month?

Yes, there are currently 3 B/W wires in the area, one goes to the starter solenoid mounting post, another from the R/R to the battery box, a third is negative battery ground (?) which also connects in at the battery box. All of these are "hardwired" with ring lugs at the ground.

This "missing" ground has me puzzled. If it was functional, I would have thought some problem would have appeared at this point. I'll have yet another look at the Clymers to see if it is mentioned in the text.

Thanks for your input
      '83 GS650G

Comment

Since the wires terminate in ring lugs. I bet suzuki or dealers added them to ensure good grounding.First thing that I did on mine was add extension wire right to R/R ground lug.
        Yeah, warm mid 70's last week.Got in two nice rides, past frozen ponds, with lots of road sand to dodge. Today light snow!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had another look at the ground, and it is not a simple bullet connector. Maybe the picture will show it better. Of course, that just happens to be the worst place on the frame for RUST! My apologies for the poor focus.

Last edited by BigD_83; 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM. Reason: resized images
          '83 GS650G

Comment

A cheap spade connector- ! follow it back, does it go into sleeve with the flasher wires? I don't have that wire- check for continuity to frame and maybe continuity to accessory fuse spot.
            1981 gs650L

Comment

I was thinking an accessory plug, too. It travels out of the wiring harness in the sleeve with the flasher wires.

I doubt that connector has ever been plugged in, judging by the amount of rust on it.

I guess the multimeter will be coming out of hiding this weekend.
              '83 GS650G

Comment

Honda made a habit of providing an extra ground wire (green) on many of their bikes that came from the factory with a 2 prong flasher unit.
                Suzuki did this on a few bikes as well and is black/white, these were mostly on bikes which did not have a flasher cancelling unit.

The purpose of this wire is to provide a ground for the standard 3 prong electronic flasher relay/unit. It is connected to the "E" or ground terminal on a standard 3 pin automotive flasher relay and is very useful if you are fitting aftermarket flashers or LED flashers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                  Honda made a habit of providing an extra ground wire (green) on many of their bikes that came from the factory with a 2 prong flasher unit.
                  Suzuki did this on a few bikes as well and is black/white, these were mostly on bikes which did not have a flasher cancelling unit.

The purpose of this wire is to provide a ground for the standard 3 prong electronic flasher relay/unit. It is connected to the "E" or ground terminal on a standard 3 pin automotive flasher relay and is very useful if you are fitting aftermarket flashers or LED flashers!
                  Bingo! makes sense as electronic flashers need ground. How thoughtful of suzuki to anticipate this!
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Thank you, Matchless. I figured someone following the recent self cancelling turn signal threads would provide input on this at some point.

That's one less thing I need to work on this week.
                    '83 GS650G

Comment

Measure from the frame to the BW wire the resistance, it might be at ground potential already.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                      X