Brake light switch adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light switch adjustment

Is there a way to adjust when the brake light comes on? My 79 GS550L's brake light will only come on with the rear brake. You have to squeeze the front brake pretty hard before the brake light will come on. Much harder than what is usually used to brake.

You still have a link for BassCliff's site. Because there's a little repair PDF there:

Replacement switch assemblies can be found for ~$10.

Comment

The brake switch works. It only activates when the brake is pulled hard though. It really should come on when the brake is pulled lightly.

I did a similar job on the left hand controls a while ago, and it fixed a lot of the issues I was having. I guess I'll give this a try just to clean it up. I am still wondering if there is an adjustment for this switch though. I can adjust the rear brake by moving the nut on it.

Comment

No real way to adjust. The most common reason for your issue is 30 years of neglect. Be careful when you pull it apart, that little spring can go into outer space. The reason for it not lighting is old dirt and grease inside switch contacts. Mine was doing the same thing, now it lights with a gentle pull before the brakes even engage.

Comment

The screw holes in the housing are elongated, so there is some adjustment to that. THAT having been said, if you have to pull the brake that hard, the housing is probably worn down and it's time for replacement.

The clutch switch is the exact same part. If you bypass the clutch switch (lots of folks like to do that anyway), you can just use the clutch part on the brake side.

Comment

Awesome. That's what I needed to know. I already removed the clutch switch since it broke shortly after I got the bike. And without a working clutch switch, I couldn't start the bike. I ended up just soldering the two wires together and bypassing it.

Thanks for the info. I'll rip it apart during the weekend and see what I can do to fix it.

Comment

Right, the holes are slotted. Just loosen the screws and slide the plate a mm to the left and you should be good.

It also might help to take everything apart, polish up the contacts. Just don't loose the tiny spring inside!
              Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Put a baggie over the handle bars and the switch. Poke the phillips thru the baggie and take the assembly apart. Baggie will catch everything..especially that little spring. When you put it back together, add a dab of grease on the plastic post the spring slides over. Grease will hold the spring so it doesnt fall off and go bouncing away to never be seen again.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Great suggestions guys. I think I have a tube of marine grease around here somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post
                    No real way to adjust.
                    Ignore that, it is VERY adjustable.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Put a baggie over the handle bars and the switch. Poke the phillips thru the baggie and take the assembly apart. Baggie will catch everything..especially that little spring. When you put it back together, add a dab of grease on the plastic post the spring slides over. Grease will hold the spring so it doesnt fall off and go bouncing away to never be seen again.
                    Or, ... you can simply make sure the cap on the brake reservoir is tight, loosen the clamps and turh the whole assembly over, so the switch is now on top.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X