Almost complete 1982 gs550l but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost complete 1982 gs550l but...

OK so I hope this is my last problem. I have a 1982 gs550l with 3k something miles. I have replaced the coils, wires and installed the dyna s. Also completely broke down the carbs and dipped over night, replace all o-rings and got them from the person on this website I was referred too. Stage 3 dyno jet kit since I have 4 into 2 straight pipes ( way to loud ) and the 2 k&n's that are for all 4 carbs. I've also adjusted to the correct float level sgince I had lots of fuel in my oil. And last i had a very good shop adjust my valves and change all shim. When i first got it back after the valve job I put gas in the carbs and it fired and that was with the screw was off I think around 4 turns out. So i pulled the carbs off and that's when i adjusted them 2 turns out and adjusted the floats to spec. Now last night. I go and put the carbs and filters back on and it'll only idle at full throttle till its almost out of gas then it'll run perfect...well kind of. It'll only fire on my left side cylinder 1 and maybe 2. I can hear it and the exhaust is hot on left and cold on right. But when its about out of gas i can hear the right side start kicking in and out (start to fire). I don't even know where to start since I've replaced everything and why the hell would it start firing when almost out of gas!? Please help. This is my last issue then she's finally back on the road...hasn't been since 94 ( when last owner had her )
    Thanks in advance!

im having a similar problem with mine it might be the coil packs my bike isnt firing on all four yet either i have one that i cant figure out but its to my understanding that each coil pack controls everyother pipe.. also coil pack is under the tank so maybe the weight of the gas maybe got a wire shorting or something?

Comment

Well I'm using a funnel as a tank since mines in the possess of being painted. Bit all of my plug are firing when i hold them to the block. I don't even know where to start.

Comment

I'd recheck the carbs and also take a look at the plugs and see if they're wet with gas. My guess is your carbs are wickedly rich hence why you can only idle at full throttle (maximum air coming in) and why it starts running better when it's about out of gas (the fuel mixture leans out tremendously).

Comment

It's 2 out u think I should twist it in to make it more lean?

Comment

Even when i had the carbs off I sprayed some starting fluid in 3 and 4 to see if I'd get a pop and nothing till I sprayed it in 1 and 2 then i got a few second idle.

Comment

How do those plugs look? Very black? If they're carbon-fouled they won't fire even when the mixture is right. They can get fouled by running rich. I would say that you're running very rich on 3 and 4 for some reason. Could be the needles not seating, or maybe the o-rings for the inlet valve seats got pinched during installation?

Comment

When you say needles not seating your only talking about the needle that's pushed in by the float? If so i just replaced those and the plugs ate brand new. I havnt driven this bike a total of a mile yet.

Comment

Take carbs off, hold in normal position somehow (vice, girlfriend, etc.), then use your funnel fuel tank to put fuel in rail and watch what happens. Hide the starting fluid.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Lol OK sounds good. And what I will see but shouldn't is?...fuel over flowing?

Comment

Yes. If the fuel is flooding through carbs 3 and 4 then that's going to have you running pretty darned rich on those two. Once the fuel level drops enough so the carbs are not being flooded then the mixture leans back to proper and those two can kick in.

Originally posted by Defore View Post
                      Lol OK sounds good. And what I will see but shouldn't is?...fuel over flowing?

Comment

OK i see ill try that tonight

Comment

OK so i did what I was told. Took off the carbs sat them level poured fuel in the carbs sat and waited ( so far 20 minutes) and nothing. No fuel is over flowing into anything? So now what? Please help.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Defore View Post
                            OK so i did what I was told. Took off the carbs sat them level poured fuel in the carbs sat and waited ( so far 20 minutes) and nothing. No fuel is over flowing into anything? So now what? Please help.
                            So , you got the funnel fuel tank over carbs,so gas is pushing on the float needles, and no sign of fuel leakage from carbs 3 and 4 ?
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No leak? I don't know what to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X