Battery drains after being jumped by car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery drains after being jumped by car

I'm a little embarrassed to even post this, but hey, y'all are pretty nice on this forum so I'll give it a shot.

Suppose I left my headlight on all day while at work and when I came out the battery was completely dead. As in Nothin. I called up with wife to the rescue, we hooked up the car battery (the car was off!) to my battery and went out to eat and let the sucker charge up for a good hour or two.

When we got back it still didn't quite start so i instructed her to turn the car and rev it up while I tried to start it. We eventually got the bike home - I charged the battery and went out of town for a week - and when I got back the battery was dead again. I thought it must have been the battery so I bought a new one. The bike rode fine for a day. Now it's dead again. The battery had drained overnight...

So I must have fried something during the jump. (I know...very stupid. But I had a plane to catch the next morning had to move the bike)

Should I just buy a new R/R and stator? I'd like to get back on the road as soon as possible.
    What else could I have fried?

At a minimum you'll want to check out the regulator. I'd check you wiring loom for any burnt connections.

nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Run the component diagnostics in the manual for the bike.
      It could just be a battery that finally died ..................

Comment

Check the battery voltage with the bike off and then again with the running at idle and then at higher rpm (about 3k). The voltage should read higher as you go through that test order. A vehicle with a non-working charging system will function while running the battery down and next time you go to start it, it won't have the cajones to start.

Not saying this is definitively what you have but it is a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by LoopGaroo View Post
          I'm a little embarrassed to even post this, but hey, y'all are pretty nice on this forum so I'll give it a shot.

Suppose I left my headlight on all day while at work and when I came out the battery was completely dead. As in Nothin. I called up with wife to the rescue, we hooked up the car battery (the car was off!) to my battery and went out to eat and let the sucker charge up for a good hour or two.

When we got back it still didn't quite start so i instructed her to turn the car and rev it up while I tried to start it. We eventually got the bike home - I charged the battery and went out of town for a week - and when I got back the battery was dead again. I thought it must have been the battery so I bought a new one. The bike rode fine for a day. Now it's dead again. The battery had drained overnight...

So I must have fried something during the jump. (I know...very stupid. But I had a plane to catch the next morning had to move the bike)

Should I just buy a new R/R and stator? I'd like to get back on the road as soon as possible.
          What else could I have fried?
          It's hard for me to suppose, all the bikes I've seen the headlight is always on with the bike and always turns off with the bike, even the oldies that have the on/off switch turn off with the bike. You must have your bike jerry rigged.

Comment

I've caught a co-worker shut his bike off with the handlebar switch then walk away from the bike with the key still in run and lights on. It can happen.

Comment

It's very probable you've fried your RR and possibly your stator. That is a crap load of amps to be pushing through the bikes system.

There's a lesson here:
              When you absolutely have no other option other than jump starting the bike from a car, NEVER have the car running.

It's very possible that your RR and or stator were toast before you jumped it, and the battery wasn't charging. But you should never jump a bike from a running car nonetheless. I'd check fuses too..

Comment

I would put more money on the R/R being faulty, rather than the stator.

Not sure why you might have thought that connecting the battery to a non-running car would charge it.
                Just not enough difference to do any charging.

Should have just connected the jumper cables, started the bike and ridden it away.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

From having worked in both a shop and parts store and having some schooling in automotive areas, the battery is probably dead, as in needs to be replaced. lead acid batteries don't like being fully discharged and are usually never the same afterward. Not saying the other stuff is good, but it hasn't been mentioned much.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Should have just connected the jumper cables, started the bike and ridden it away.

This.....works fine.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well...it didn't work. Thanks for your input.

Comment

In that case you have bigger issues.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

You'll just have to start with a known good battery and test everything as per established procedures. Don't simply throw parts at it, unless you have the budget just to clean everything up and replace the battery, r/r, and stator all at once.

Some find the Stator Papers overly complicated. You'll find testing and replacement guides for the stator and r/r on my website. Be sure to read the supporting information in the electrical section too. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks.

I was a little confused by the stator papers, but I managed to test everything and found that the stator was bad. I decided to clean all the connections and replace the r/r and stator at the same time; that way I'm totally covered. I got both products from Electrosport. Installation wasn't too hard with the assistance of the guides on BikeCliff's website. Thanks Again!

It's been really, really, nice to have a reliable bike the past few weeks. It starts much easier and the battery is charging well.

I found out yesterday that you can wire the r/r directly to the battery (with an in line fuse) to bypass the wiring loom. I'll take care of that job this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by LoopGaroo View Post

I found out yesterday that you can wire the r/r directly to the battery (with an in line fuse) to bypass the wiring loom. I'll take care of that job this weekend.
                              Definitely do that. I always wire the RR directly to battery.
                              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                              X