Speedo Jumpin' Around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Jumpin' Around

I've been takin' the 1980 gs850 out and the speedo just started jumping around and then totally quit working. Then after a bump or some other reason, it will start working again, and then fail just as quickly. Any ideas?

Scudder

Cable come loose or broken I'd guess.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Replace the cable.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I try a few things before spending $$. I am a big fan of WD 40. (Curse they days they reformulated it). Give the cable a good squirt at both ends. If that doesn't work- or what they heck, do this while/before squirting---
        While undone, twist the lower end, does the top end turn too? Well, it taint broken. Maybe the WD will help.
        I've also stuck a flat head drill bit secured in a variable speed drill into the speedo and gave it some gentle juice to make sure the speedo is working correctly. Replacing speedos can be a tad $$$... been there/done that.
        -Bookmon

Comment

I believe your speedo is one of the magnetic drive type, these give up the ghost at some time and I think you reached that time. Only cure for this is find one that is still working (of which will die at sometime as well). I should know, I've bought no less then 4 stock instrument clusters for my bike so far. Of the 4, 3 have died as well. Now you can completely replace your instrument cluster with a total new systems that are available now. When #4 goes, I'll be going to one of these: http://trailtech.net/computers.html or http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/new/...orcycle_gauges
          or http://www.acewell-meter.com/c0_1.php?pid=15
          Last edited by mrbill5491; 03-29-2012, 12:25 PM.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at the cable first, if that is the problem, great. Then if the speedo needs to be replace, that will be next. Thanks a million.

Scudder

Comment

Working...
            X